locked
Unspecified error '80004005' RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-1566128131 posted

    I've just set up IIS7 on my Vista Workstation and can't get it to connect to Access databases on my sites that use Classic ASP. I've done everything recommended in Bill's blog at http://blogs.iis.net/bills/archive/2007/05/21/tips-for-classic-asp-developers-on-iis7.aspx

    I still get the same '80004005 unspecified error' on every page with a connection to the Access Database. It looks like a permissions thing but I've given pretty much every user every permission so I'm stumped.

     The code IIS7 objects to is the second line of:

    <%

    Set adoCon = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

    adoCon.Open "PROVIDER=MICROSOFT.JET.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE= " & Server.MapPath("../private/mydata.mdb")

    %>

    I'm out of ideas. Can anyone please help?

    Thanks in advance.

    Monday, August 20, 2007 7:32 AM

Answers

  • User989702501 posted

    Well, many posters have claimed that the workaround is working for them. so it should fix yours as well.

    Now, I would now suggest you get ProcMon to track the access, and see if you find any error in the log file.
    Also, it looks like you are using parent path ../xxx/xxx.mdb  is parent path enable? ...

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:25 AM
  • User1073881637 posted

    I was able to reproduce the error.  Bottom line it was load user profile and the two permissions as indicated in the article that resolved the issue.  I tried various combo things and it came down to syntax, database format (it needed to be an access 2003 or eariler db) and the settings I mentioned.  Validate your path, connection string, ensure the network service and / or IUSR has permissions (read / execute / list folder contents).    Assuming you've changed the load user profile on the Application Pool (DefaultAppPool) by default, things should be ok.

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:05 PM

All replies

  • User989702501 posted

    Well, many posters have claimed that the workaround is working for them. so it should fix yours as well.

    Now, I would now suggest you get ProcMon to track the access, and see if you find any error in the log file.
    Also, it looks like you are using parent path ../xxx/xxx.mdb  is parent path enable? ...

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:25 AM
  • User1073881637 posted

    I was able to reproduce the error.  Bottom line it was load user profile and the two permissions as indicated in the article that resolved the issue.  I tried various combo things and it came down to syntax, database format (it needed to be an access 2003 or eariler db) and the settings I mentioned.  Validate your path, connection string, ensure the network service and / or IUSR has permissions (read / execute / list folder contents).    Assuming you've changed the load user profile on the Application Pool (DefaultAppPool) by default, things should be ok.

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:05 PM
  • User-1566128131 posted

    Many thanks for all the suggestions on this. I have not had time to try any changes but will do so in the next couple of days and report back.

     Thanks again

     Brecon

    Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:30 AM