none
Word 2010 Mail Merge - Multiple Templates RRS feed

• Question

• I have an excel file having employee data.
    The employee performance letters are generated using mail merge but I have 30 templates to do so.
    suppose  there are 100 employees
    They differ in parameters like received bonus promotion etc, so different templates are to be used
    So how do I merger data according to the respective templates
    I hope this makes sense.
    Please help
    Thanks
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 11:55 AM

Answers

• Hi nitson

It sort of makes sense, but it's difficult to follow exactly what you have in mind. Do I understand correctly that the text content of the letter the employee receives varies according to the data in the data source fields? For example, if someone made more than n-dollars he'd see one text? And if he made less another?

One way to achieve this would be to use a single template, but have IF fields in the template that test the data and display appropriate content.

The other way would be to use separate templates (as you envision) and QUERY (filter) the data so that you only get the records you're interested in for each template. For this, click the "Edit Recipient List" button in the "Mailings" tab. Very simple filters can be set in this grid. For more complex filters click the "Filter" link. In the "Filter Records" dialog box, select a field, the comparison operator and enter the comparison value. You can set up to six criteria to filter the records.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:45 PM

All replies

• Hi nitson

It sort of makes sense, but it's difficult to follow exactly what you have in mind. Do I understand correctly that the text content of the letter the employee receives varies according to the data in the data source fields? For example, if someone made more than n-dollars he'd see one text? And if he made less another?

One way to achieve this would be to use a single template, but have IF fields in the template that test the data and display appropriate content.

The other way would be to use separate templates (as you envision) and QUERY (filter) the data so that you only get the records you're interested in for each template. For this, click the "Edit Recipient List" button in the "Mailings" tab. Very simple filters can be set in this grid. For more complex filters click the "Filter" link. In the "Filter Records" dialog box, select a field, the comparison operator and enter the comparison value. You can set up to six criteria to filter the records.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Hi Nitson, I have the same issue, did you ever got to find a solution that satisfied you?

Thanks,

Luis

Luis

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:29 PM