none
Best deployment guide for our winform application using CI/CD RRS feed

• Question

• we are  developers and our winform project is in VSTS. our product is in-house product means our product users are also from our company employees. we use click once publish option to give update to our users. when we publish our product changes by client once deployment then it is publish to global folder from where all user get their update.

i have no idea how CI/CD works and also i do not know does it fit for our winform project?

nowadays many company uses CI/CD. does it only applicable for web application or CI/CD can be used for winform project too ?

please guide me how could i use CI/CD for our winform project to distribute update to our in-house client ?

please tell me by azure CI/CD how can i push publish to my winform project from VSTS to folder of my pc ?

i will be glad if anyone give answer. thanks

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 7:12 PM

Answers

• You're combining technologies here and this is confusing things. 

CI - continuous integration (aka a build). You can use Azure DevOps to build your app. In fact you should be. The result of the build is a deployable product. This is generally configured as part of a branching policy when using Git. When you make a PR into master it triggers the CI build. All this is well beyond the forums to discuss though. There is plenty of documentation on the Azure DevOps site on how to set this up but it is tied to your specific build needs.

If you don't already have this set up then you'll need to do that. In order to get support for CI in Azure DevOps you'll need to post in Stack Overflow or in GitHub. All Azure Devops support has been moved over there. This is in no way related to the C# forums.

CD - continuous deployment. This is generally related to deploying your app to a centralized location such as a web server, cloud platform, etc. In general you're talking about a web app, Azure job, etc as they are centrally located.

It is not designed for deploying to individual machines. This is what deployment policies on your network are for. You'd need to work with your infrastructure team to get that set up. However if you're using ClickOnce to deploy your app then ClickOnce can be configured to look at a URL to see if there is a newer version of your app. In that case CD can be set up to deploy your app to your deployment URL such that the next time an end user starts the app they get an update notification. But this requires ClickOnce to be configured. Again, all this is beyond the C# forums. Questions related to configuring CD for specific types of (supported) apps should be posted at SO/GitHub as mentioned earlier. Questions related to getting ClickOnce set up (if desired) should be posted in the ClickOnce forums. Questions related to configuring network policies to auto-deploy your app need to be taken up with network admins or posted over at TechNet.

If you have no experience with CI/CD then I recommend you read up on how to configure and use it using the very good tutorials available on the Azure DevOps site first. Then work on getting your app to work with it/them.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

• Marked as answer by Sudip_inn Saturday, February 22, 2020 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:27 PM
  • I did in my previous post, what is not clear? CI is build, CD is deployment/release.

• Marked as answer by Sudip_inn Saturday, February 22, 2020 6:37 PM
    Saturday, February 22, 2020 3:42 PM

All replies

• This should be done by your engineers or service desk using a package delivery system via Active Directory which provides a good deal of control over installs, especially when security is getting very tight these days.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 7:43 PM
  • i like to know how can i use azure CI/CD to push the publish to my local pc from VSTS or azure pc? is it possible?
    Tuesday, February 18, 2020 8:42 PM
  • Hi Sudip_inn,

I don't think it's possible. I searched a lot of materials and didn't find any information about it.

I suggest you can ask this question in Microsoft Q&A, maybe they know more about that.

Best Regards,

Timon

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:57 AM
  • CI/CD is only for asp. Net web project?  Can't we use ci/cd for winform?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:54 PM
  • You're combining technologies here and this is confusing things. 

CI - continuous integration (aka a build). You can use Azure DevOps to build your app. In fact you should be. The result of the build is a deployable product. This is generally configured as part of a branching policy when using Git. When you make a PR into master it triggers the CI build. All this is well beyond the forums to discuss though. There is plenty of documentation on the Azure DevOps site on how to set this up but it is tied to your specific build needs.

If you don't already have this set up then you'll need to do that. In order to get support for CI in Azure DevOps you'll need to post in Stack Overflow or in GitHub. All Azure Devops support has been moved over there. This is in no way related to the C# forums.

CD - continuous deployment. This is generally related to deploying your app to a centralized location such as a web server, cloud platform, etc. In general you're talking about a web app, Azure job, etc as they are centrally located.

It is not designed for deploying to individual machines. This is what deployment policies on your network are for. You'd need to work with your infrastructure team to get that set up. However if you're using ClickOnce to deploy your app then ClickOnce can be configured to look at a URL to see if there is a newer version of your app. In that case CD can be set up to deploy your app to your deployment URL such that the next time an end user starts the app they get an update notification. But this requires ClickOnce to be configured. Again, all this is beyond the C# forums. Questions related to configuring CD for specific types of (supported) apps should be posted at SO/GitHub as mentioned earlier. Questions related to getting ClickOnce set up (if desired) should be posted in the ClickOnce forums. Questions related to configuring network policies to auto-deploy your app need to be taken up with network admins or posted over at TechNet.

If you have no experience with CI/CD then I recommend you read up on how to configure and use it using the very good tutorials available on the Azure DevOps site first. Then work on getting your app to work with it/them.

• Marked as answer by Sudip_inn Saturday, February 22, 2020 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2020 9:27 PM
  • thanks for your reply.

just one request....what is difference between CI & CD ? just tell me briefly here. i need a example which tell me what is CI and what CD and difference between them.

Saturday, February 22, 2020 9:20 AM
  • I did in my previous post, what is not clear? CI is build, CD is deployment/release.

• Marked as answer by Sudip_inn Saturday, February 22, 2020 6:37 PM
    Saturday, February 22, 2020 3:42 PM