none
.net 4.0 Client Profile installs, Extended fails RRS feed

• Question

• After uninstalling all .net versions, I tried to reinstall them. All available versions were installed including .net 4.0 Client Profile but .net 4.0 Extended did not install. Suggestions? The error log was VERY long so here's the summary:

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 8:10 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, that last line you quoted is a generic error and doesn't provide enough information for potential responders.

Please read this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aaronru/archive/2007/12/10/what-to-do-when-you-go-to-post-a-setup-and-deployment-issue-on-the-msdn-forums.aspx

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Iv'e got 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 Client Profile installed and fully updated. Here is the dump from collect.exe http://www.mediafire.com/file/565azjd7igfe1k0/vslogs.cab Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Hi Mad_Matter,

Thank you for your post.

After I checked your vslog files, I found some errors as follows.

Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information. ]
    [9/15/2010, 13:56:6]MSI (D:\ebc3949d239763cca53506f9\netfx_Extended_x86.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20100915_135449125-MSI_netfx_Extended_x86.msi.txt
    [9/15/2010, 13:56:6]
    PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)

Typically, your issue is more like Window Installer encounters an error.

I would recommend that you could refer the following suggestions.

-          Download Driver Software Update - updates the drivers that control your computer.

-          Download Error 0x80070643 Fix - helps fix 0x80070643 on your system.

Sometimes 0x80070643 errors can be caused by spyware and viruses, so it's recommended you run a program like the one below to check and remove any infections it finds.

-          Download Spyware Scan - scans and removes any spyware, viruses or adware on your PC.

To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location. Or to save the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.

See: http://www.0x80070643.com/ for more detail information.

CHEERS,

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mad_Matter Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:40 PM
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 3:41 AM
  • Thank you very much. Incidentally I won't be able to work on the computer again until Tuesday. I'll post the results at the earliest opportunity.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Hi Mad,

Glad to see your reply.

I'm writing to follow-up this thread.

Any update?

If you have any issues, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Larcolais Gong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 2:11 AM
  • That website looks sketchy. The website isn't hosted by Microsoft but they try to make it look that way. I didn't download the registry cleaner RegCure, from that website but I looked up the same utility on download.com and it got a bad rating so I didn't download it from there either. However I did download Auslogics registry cleaner. I cleaned everything found but reversed the changes it made because it prevented the 4.0 standalone installer from running at all! I did notice the temporary location for the extracted files is on D: and not C:, the system drive. Could this be a problem? Or is it possible to completely reinstall Windows Installer? Do you think I should download and run RegCure anyway? Thanks.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:06 PM