none
Workflows creating blank documents?

Question

• I'm trying to create a Link to a Document content type whenever a file is uploaded, and have it moved over to another document library for reference. When I create it manually from the UI, it works perfectly fine. However, when I use a workflow to create it, it gives me a page not found error. I looked at the two files in Sharepoint Designer, and the workflow file turns out to be completely blank. Anybody know what I'm missing here? I've tried saving a file as a template, different URLs, using different names, etc. I've been racking my brain over this for the past couple of days.

I'm using Office 365, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Monday, May 1, 2017 7:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

My understand:

You want to copy the new uploaded document to another library using designer workflow. But the document is blank.

Am I right?

How do you set your designer workflow? Could you provide a screenshot about workflow steps?

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 7:52 AM
  • Yes - basically I'd like to create a link to a document content type, so that any changes made to the original document will be reflected in the other library. My workflow is pretty simple - it creates a new item with Document Type "Link to a Document", and takes the encoded absolute URL and name from the current item in the list:

http://imgur.com/a/jxvfS

The Content Type ID says Document Link because a created a custom content type from Link to a Document to see if that would work - it didn't. The /LinkToDocs/ is just a folder within the current library that I'm temporarily placing these files into while I figure this whole thing out. I'll probably use the content organizer or an HTTP web service to move to the final location (it's on another subsite).

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:47 PM