none
Project UID Formula RRS feed

• Question

• Hello  

this is project server 2010 

basically we want to import the project GUID into a custom field , so i opened our test site and created a custom field and in the formula section i wrote [Project GUID] , there was no errors , then i modified a view published a project and instead of getting me back the project GUID i have the current date ! 

then i went to Microsoft virtual labs started a session there and i found a field there created under (Project ID) but in the formula expression is Date() .. and i even tried to create one there and i ended up with the same problem   the questions in short 

1- how to get the project GUID in a custom field 

2-why is the [Project GUID] generating today date instead of bringing back the actual GUID 

Regards 

Malek 

Malek AlShayeb

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:11 PM

All replies

• Hello Malek,

Just out of curiosity, do you just want to show the project GUID? 

If that is the case you can easily add the Enterprise Project ID to a view, no need for a custom field.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:08 PM
  • hi ,

actually no we have  more work to do with it than just view it 

Malek AlShayeb

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Now I'm also curious what kind of field you need to put in the formula. Still figured that one out, sorry.

After some research I figured out that it is possible to get a GUID into a custom field. I managed that by using the project entity and text type. I used a formula with the [Unique ID] field. But unfortunately that is not the project GUID :S
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:11 PM
  • exactly and have you tried [Project GUID] it will return today date !! 

anyway what we want to do is to create a link that redirect the user from the project workspace to the PDP page this is how the client want it , so i thought since the link is static i add it and add to it the Project GUID , i thought it would be easy but as you can see its not ! 

something is missed up and even if we figured out a way to deliver the client need i still want to know what is wrong with it 

Malek AlShayeb

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:17 PM
  • In project Pro you can insert the GUID field into a Gantt Chart view. If the Project Summary task is visible it will show the GUID for the project.

In PWA Project Center view you can insert the "Enterprise Project ID" field into the view and it will contain the GUID.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:31 PM
  • Hi

Thank you Brian for the tip , but we are facing the problem with adding the UID into a custom field and view it in the project work space 

regards 

Malek AlShayeb

Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:16 AM