none
Kinect sdk 2.0 joint orientation RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get the rotation(roll) of my arm. I found that the joint orientation gives hierarchical rotation, but I'm not sure if it can be used for finding roll of an arm. Is it possible to do this using the joint orientation?

I am looking to get a Kinect for windows V2 for this purpose, but I'm not sure if the rotation can be found using Kinect. Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, November 10, 2014 6:47 AM

Answers

• There is enough fidelity in the depth information to detect roll, see Kinect Evolution application in the Windows Store(Block Man). Keep in mind, there are scenarios where this can flip, due to noise, but you can adjust for that with added filtering.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

• Marked as answer by aayushjr Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:34 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:39 PM

All replies

• JointOrientation values are provided for each joint based. The data is provided as a quaternion for the local orientation in v2: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/31c9aff6-7dab-433d-9af9-59942dfd3d69/kinect-v20-preview-sdk-jointorientation-vs-boneorientation?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 12:23 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

I looked through it. I understand that I can get data for local orientation respective to the skeletal structure of the person. Sorry for not being clearer in my question earlier, what I was confused in is if I can get roll of a straight arm(rotation of palm) using joint orientation, not the rotation of an arm bent at the elbow. 

Another alternative I thought of for getting the roll of the arm was using palm orientation. However, as that will be using extra morphological filters for palm detection, I wanted to use joint orientation as rest of my code uses it as well.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:16 AM
  • There is enough fidelity in the depth information to detect roll, see Kinect Evolution application in the Windows Store(Block Man). Keep in mind, there are scenarios where this can flip, due to noise, but you can adjust for that with added filtering.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

• Marked as answer by aayushjr Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:34 AM
    Tuesday, November 11, 2014 6:39 PM