none
Link test results of test cases used as precondition in other test cases RRS feed

• Question

• Context: 

We test a product in stage A -> with 7 test steps. 
    We test a product to move from stage A to B -> 5 test steps
    We test a report, reporting on products in stage B -> 3 test steps

Every test case is approached as individual. That means that for testing the move to stage B, the test steps of Product in Stage A are included. We can: 

- Make use of shared steps

- Add a test step: precondition and link the test case of Stage A

If we want to test the report on stage B, the test case needs to hold test steps to have a product in stage B. We can:

- Make use of a shared step for Stage B (which already holds a shared step)
    - Add a precondition and link the test case of Stage B

For execution we did not find a way for efficient linking: 

1. Could we link the result of the shared step linked? If one passes, in all test cases, those shared steps are set on pass?

2. Could we make use of a link type to link test cases result to enable the precondition set on pass / a flow for execution ? 

Thank you in advance! 

Kr, 

Sven 

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Sven,

As far as I know, you can either mark the whole shared sequence as passed or failed, or mark each step separately if you use shared steps.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd286655(v=vs.120).aspx

Note as the Q&A:

It’s almost exactly the same in Microsoft Test Manager as in Team Web Access. The buttons look slightly different.

A video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Z8KD6FhoU

Thanks,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 2, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Hi Jack-Zhai,

Thanks for your answer..

But as I do not figure it out well the video, I would like to clarify the open question of Sven:

Is there a way to mark shared steps to OK across different test cases ( i.e. during execution of shared step in case 1, the shared step in case 2 is also marked as OK automatically)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kr,

Junior

Friday, June 2, 2017 9:07 AM