TFS 2013 to TFS 2015 Upgrade(In-Place) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

We are planning to upgrade our TFS from 2013 to 2015 RTM (In-place). I looked at the requirements and compatibility from the below link 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/Library/vs/alm/TFS/administer/requirements

Architecture: Our TFS is setup as Multi Tier Architecture (AppTier , DB Tier, Reporting and Sharepoint) and we use MS Test Manager(for Manual and Automated Tests) and most of the ALM features at our place. And our build system is spread across VM's with 2 Controllers and multiple agents.

Question : 1. How much effort is required after we upgrade to TFS 2015 in terms of Configuring the Build Controllers, Test Controllers and Share point Services.

2. Do I need to run the Upgrade on all the Build machines,Test VM's and Sharepoint Server or TFS will keep the configurations as it is after the Upgrade like before. The Reason I'm asking is because we are building VS 2010 project for one team and the build Templates are customized heavily for this Application.

3. Also let me know if I need to  Configure new features to take advantage of TFS 2015 features( for Process Templates and WorkItem Templates). As far as I know our Team projects are created using TFS 2012/2013 Templates. 

Above mentioned things will let me plan and estimate the time and effort required before and after the Upgrade. Thanks

Regards,

Rahman

Friday, October 23, 2015 2:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Rahman,

Thanks for posting here.

>1. How much effort is required after we upgrade to TFS 2015 in terms of Configuring the Build Controllers, Test Controllers and Share point Services.

As to this issue, I am not sure how to assess the effort for you. Different TFS engineers have different levels' experience, so I think the effort needed will be varied.

>. Do I need to run the Upgrade on all the Build machines,Test VM's and Sharepoint Server or TFS will keep the configurations as it is after the Upgrade like before. The Reason I'm asking is because we are building VS 2010 project for one team and the build Templates are customized heavily for this Application.

As far as I know, team foundation server upgrading only needs you to upgrade the TFS. But before upgrading, you should make sure if the SQL server is compatible with TFS2015 and if the hardware can meet the upgrading requirements. As to other integration products, you just need to make sure its compatibility with TFS2015. However, for multitier architecture when you need the latest templates, you may need to do it on all the build machines. Some member have ever met this similar issue, you may have a reference to it.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/861dce42-6abc-491f-a1ca-44476f3667d8/upgrading-to-tfs-2015-multitier-architecture?forum=tfsgeneral

>3. Also let me know if I need to  Configure new features to take advantage of TFS 2015 features( for Process Templates and WorkItem Templates). As far as I know our Team projects are created using TFS 2012/2013 Templates.

Yes, please check the link below.

Configure features after an upgrade

May

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Rahman Syed Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:59 AM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 6:22 AM