Vague error message - Some of the properties associated with the solution could not be read. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi;

First off, is this the correct forum for general VS questions? There does not appear to be an "everything else" forum.

Problem I am having. When I load one of my solutions I get the error message "Some of the properties associated with the solution could not be read."

What does this mean?

thanks - dave

Very funny video - Reporting as a Metaphor
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

For your concern, I have some clarification with you:
    What kind of projects are you developing now? Winform project, ASP.NET project or others? VB.NET project, C# project or others?

Please tell me more information on your solution and projects so that I can provide you more useful help here.

As a try, you can try to create a new blank solution file and add the existing projects to this new solution.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, June 4, 2010 9:03 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DavidThielen Monday, June 6, 2011 2:02 PM
    Friday, June 4, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Hi David,

If you turn source code control on, Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005 tries to load the corresponding Microsoft Source Code Control Interface (MSSCCI) provider when you try to open a project or when you try to create a project. However, an MSSCCI provider that is registered in the Microsoft Windows Registry by using the relative path of the corresponding DLL may pose a security threat to your computer. Therefore, before Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005 loads an MSSCCI provider, Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005 verifies whether any MSSCCI provider on your computer is registered by using a relative path.

To resolve this problem, modify the corresponding registry entry for each MSSCCI provider that is registered by using the relative path of the corresponding DLL. Modify the registry entry so that the MSSCCI provider is registered by using the absolute path of the DLL instead. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK to start Registry Editor.
    3. In Registry Editor, locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SourceCodeControlProvider\InstalledSCCProviders

Notice that each of the registry entries for this subkey contains information about a registry subkey under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. For example, the Microsoft Visual SourceSafe registry entry contains the following data: Software\Microsoft\SourceSafe
    4. For each of the registry entries that you noticed in step 3, locate the corresponding registry subkey. For example, locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SourceSafe
    5. For each of the registry subkeys that you located in step 4, if the corresponding SCCServerPath registry entry contains a relative path, follow these steps:
      1. Right-click SCCServerPath, and then click Modify.
      2. Type the absolute path of the MSSCCI provider DLL in the Value data box. You can use Windows Search to locate this absolute path.

Note Contact your MSSCCI provider vendor to verify that this step does not interfere with the functionality of your MSSCCI provider.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Start Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005.
    8. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Project. Notice that you can successfully create a project, and you do not see the behavior that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.

More Information available at  -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841707/en-us 

Regards,

Raman Katwal
    Friday, June 4, 2010 11:35 AM
  • I'm having this problem with VS 2010, not 2003/2005.

thanks - dave

Friday, June 4, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Blank and other solutions load fine. Just this one solution gives me this error.

The solution is primarily a C# AddIn for Microsoft Office. But it also includes some C++ DLLs (shims for the AddIn), console apps, unit test dlls, and forms based apps. It has 21 projects.

thanks - dave

Friday, June 4, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply. And sorry for delay.

Based on your description, we can narrow down the possible cause to this specific solution file.

For your concern, have you tried my suggestion to create a new blank solution file and add the existing 21 projects to this new solution? Will the error message occur when you double click the new solution file or open it via VS IDE?

BTW, this forum is for the support of Visual Studio installation. For VSTO issue, if you have any concern further, Visual Studio Tools for Office forum would be a better choice for you to try.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Hi;

I don't think this is a VSTO issue as the error message comes from Visual Studio when loading the solution.

The error occurs both opening the solution and double clicking on it.

I don't want to recreate it because it was a giant PITA getting it to build all the projects with the correct settings.

How can I find out what this error means?

thanks - dave

Monday, June 7, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

I can understand that there would take some time for you to create a brand new solution file and add the existing projects to rebuild your projects. The reason that I would suggest you to do that is to eliminate the possible cause of corrupted solution file. If your problem is related to corrupted solution file, this would be one fast way for you to solve your concern.

I know that your concern refers that you cannot open the solution file of your VSTO project instead of VSTO programming.
    However, as I mentioned, this forum is for the support of Visual Studio installation.
    If you have any concern on Visual Studio installation or IDE, I can give you more useful help here.
    It is one Visual Studio project general question. I will try my best to help you on that.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:40 AM
  • Hi;

First off, we're not a VSTO project. We talk to Office using the IExtensibility COM API so we're basically an ActiveX control.

Second, this has nothing to do with what we are programming to, it's an issue that when Visual Studio opens the solution it gives us this error message. This is a Visual Studio issue.

Third, all I am asking is how do I determine what this error means. Visual Studio should have a way of listing the cause of an error. Can you please tell me what causes Visual Studio to display this error?

thanks - dave

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:32 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your clarification.

Frankly speaking, I'm familiar with Visual Studio installation instead of project and solution files. Sorry for that!

However, based on the error message, it looks like that VS IDE could not read some of the properties associated with the solution when you tried to load the solution file.

Can you manually open each project in the solution file?

This might be not the direct answer to your concern. But you might try to get the log of VS activities when you run VS instance to troubleshoot the problem.

To get Visual Studio and logs all activity to the specified log file when we apply Visual Studio products, we can issue "/log" option to run Visual Studio instance.
    Please go to Start menu >> Run >> type "Devenv.exe /log <log path>". Then the log files will be generated in the <log path>.
    For more information, please check:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/saraford/archive/2005/10/20/483157.aspx

Hope that the log might shed some light on your concern.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:15 AM
  • Hi;

First, is there a better forum for these questions? There does not appear to be a general issues Visual Studio forum that I can find.

The log file worked. Here's the errors it lists:

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Visual Studio COM+ Library Manager Package]

Unexpected system error mode before loading package [Visual Studio Explorers and Designers Package]

Any idea what these mean?

thanks - dave

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your patience on this concern.

Based on the errors, it looks like that some VS packages cannot be loaded when you launch VS IDE with some unexpected system error. However, there is no specific error code recorded.
    You might try devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs (in command prompt) to avoid loading problem VSPackages.

Could you please help me to check whether you can open this solution on other machines with Visual Studio 2010 installed?
    If the solution still cannot be opened on other machine, I still incline to that it might be related to corrupted solution file of this specific project.

Sorry for the inconvenience that you want to consult some general issues of Visual Studio but cannot find more specific forum. Until now, from my point of view, since the project is one C# Add-In for Microsoft Office primarily, you might try Visual C# General forum. It's one general forum for C# development.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Hi;

It does happen to everyone here.

I do not want to use /ResetSkipPkgs because I want to use all installed packages. That avoids the error, it does not fix it.

I don't think this is a C# issue because it says properities associated with the solution, not properties associated with a project.

Again, who can I ask on the Visual Studio team what this Visual Studio error message means?

thanks - dave

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:42 PM
  • BTW - I don't mean to be a pain about this. But Visual Studio is showing this error and I think only the Visual Studio team can tell me how to figure out what it means.

thanks - dave

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply.

We have discussed this concern these days. I can understand that you want to solve your problem ASAP.
    However, troubleshooting is not similar as programming. We need to try different kinds of ways to narrow down the possible cause.

We are not quite sure whether your concern could be related to the solution file itself or Visual Studio itself.
    I would suggest that the first thing that you could try is to open this solution on other machines with Visual Studio 2010 installed.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:08 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DavidThielen Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:04 PM
    Friday, June 11, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I'm writing to follow up the post.

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, June 14, 2010 3:17 AM
  • We have opened it in 2 other systems - same error message.

What I don't understand is, why can't Visual Studio provide more information about an error it listed?

thanks - dave

Monday, June 14, 2010 2:08 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have opened it in 2 other systems - same error message.

Based on your description, this solution cannot be opened on other machines with Visual Studio 2010 installed with the same error message. Thus, we can narrow down the possible cause to this solution file itself. It looks like that this solution file is corrupted.

Although I know that it may take you some efforts to create a new solution file and add the existing projects to rebuild it, it is one quick workaround for the original issue.

What I don't understand is, why can't Visual Studio provide more information about an error it listed?

For your concern, I will consult it with our engineers and groups. I will let you know if I can get any helpful information.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:17 AM typo
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Hi;

Ok, if we rebuild the .sln file - how do I tell TFS that the new .sln file is the checked out solution? When I build a new file it has none of the info connecting it to the source control in TFS.

thanks - dave

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 6:50 PM
  • Hi Dave,

For your concern, you might try the following steps:

- Check out the solution file (e.g.: myproject.sln) from Source Control Editor
    - Navigate to myproject.sln file (e.g.: D:\myproject\myproject.sln) on your local machine and delete it
    - Create a brand new solution file named myproject.sln in Visual Studio IDE
    - Copy the new myproject.sln file to the original path of your project (e.g.: D:\myproject\)
    - Open Source Control Editor and double click the new myproject.sln file
    - A dialog box will prompt to ask you to bind the new myproject.sln file to source control, please select "Yes"
    - Open the new myproject.sln file again and add the existing projects to the

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:24 AM
  • Could you get a dump at the point when the error message box pops up? Please follow the instructions here to get a dump:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2007/09/19/how-to-obtain-debug-information-from-a-hung-frozen-application.aspx

And upload the dump to:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=f6a38c46-1b34-415b-b75c-41d9cfcc8291

Password: pDF9Pq581D516

Choose "Standard" for uploads <2 GB, else "Resume".

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DavidThielen Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:05 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Actually, before you try getting a dump file, could you right-click your solution file and open it in Notepad. Then could you glance through the solution file and see if there is a duplicate Global Section; i.e. Global Sections with the same name. If yes, please remove one of the sections and try to reload your solution. Let me know if this works.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:07 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DavidThielen Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:05 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ctschap Monday, June 6, 2011 1:59 PM
    Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Thank you for Richa's kindly help.

Hi Dave,

Please try Richa's suggestion to check your solution file in Notepad.

Let us know if it works or not.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, June 18, 2010 2:56 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I'm writing to follow up the post.

Please feel free to let me know if you need any help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Monday, June 21, 2010 6:14 AM
  • Hi Dave,

I've marked Richa's and my reply as answer. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice week!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:07 AM
  • I am having the same problem a very long time, since VS2008 (I believe it appeared when we upgraded from SourceSafe to TFS). I have tried all I could find on the Internet to no avail. The problem seems to be source control related and TFS in particular. I'm currently having the problem with VS2010 (Windows 7 64bit). The development machine is NOT a member of a domain. The TFS server IS a member of a domain. The credentials to access the domain TFS server are stored in the user's vault in the development machine. The setup is to connect automatically to the TFS server (I think there was such a setting back in VS2008). The following are reproducible in my machine and might be relevant:

Case 1: When VS2010 is opened without a solution, it does not automatically connect to the TFS, unless the Team explorer pane was visible when VS closed. Under these conditions, if a solution having source-controlled projects is subsequently opened, the message will appear. If VS is first connected to TFS, either manually or if by activating the Team explorer pane first, then the message does not appear.

Case 2: If VS2010 is opened by clicking on a solution file (.sln) with source-controlled projects, then the message will always appear (it seems VS will try to connect to TFS only after the solution has loaded).

If the following code is in Macros/EnvironmentEvents (adjust for tfs name), the problem seems to be fixed for case 1, but not for case 2:

Private Sub DTEEvents_OnStartupComplete() Handles DTEEvents.OnStartupComplete
      Dim tfs = New Microsoft.TeamFoundation.Client.TeamFoundationServer("http://MY_TFS_NAME.DOMAIN:8080/tfs")
      tfs.EnsureAuthenticated()
    End Sub

I hope this helps to track the problem down.

• Proposed as answer by zolee69 Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:38 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by zolee69 Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 11:29 AM
  • I gave up. I do find it ridiculous that Visual Studio has errors that say "something happened" and provide no additional information.

I unmarked all proposed answers because this was never answered.

thanks - dave

Very funny video - What's your Metaphor?
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 4:06 PM
  • I was having the same problem with VS2010 every time I opened my solution ('some of the properties associated with the solution could not be read').  The comment above by Costas2 helped me.  If I open VS2010 without a solution, then click 'Connect to Team Foundation Server' on the Start page, and THEN open my solution, I do not get the error.  So this error is caused by using Team Foundation Server.  Microsoft should fix this error.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:49 PM
  • I was having the same problem with a solution that contained several dll projects, unit test projects and a couple MVC websites and a Web Forms web app. I opened the solution file in Notepad and found two Global Sections named "TeamFoundationVersionControl". I removed one of them, saved the file and reopened the solution without errors.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:01 PM
  • @ctschap:

Tried that. Eventually, the problem (and the deleted section) will reappear. There are definitely some hidden bugs within the TFS code in VS. These problems have been there for years and strangely enough (;-P), MS has not confirmed, denied or even acknowledged them. I realize these can be hard to find but at least someone from MS could guide us to provide the necessary info. 

Since this problem does not lead to a crash, I don't expect much though. I adjusted by:

• Never opening a solution containing source controlled items via its sln file.
    • Always start VS first, connect to the TFS Server, and only *then* open the solution.

Monday, June 6, 2011 2:14 PM
  • I've been having the same problem with the solution files. Deleting the extra TeamFoundationVersionControl sections seemed to have worked for me and hasn't reappeared.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Well, the solution I'm working at this right moment has 9 projects, 3 of which are source controlled (same TFS). The solution file has only one such global section and unless I connect to the TF Server first, I always get the message:

Open solution by clicking .sln file ---> Always message

Open studio, and immediately open solution ---> Always message

Open studio, connect to TFS, *THEN* open solution ---> NEVER message.

Open studio while having a TFS related window (e.g. TeamExplorer) open and visible from last session, and immediately open solution ---> SOMETIMES message (if I manage to open the solution before studio has the time to connect to the TFS, I get the message, if I delay a few seconds, then I don't).

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:27 PM
  • I've had this issue and tracked it down to an issue in the 'GlobalSection(TeamFoundationVersionControl) = preSolution' section of the Solution file. At the start of this is a line that states how many projects follow that looks something like this 'SccNumberOfProjects = 33'. Following this there are three lines for each project plus one for the solution. These are numbered for each project and I guess that the SccNumberOfProjects setting is used to determin what number to go up to. In our instance we had some of the rows repeated. There were two 'SccProjectUniqueName31' settings and no 'SccProjectUniqueName29'. Once I had resolved the corruption the error went away.

I was able to trace the corruption back to a faulty Merge.

• Proposed as answer by FredrikH Monday, September 17, 2012 7:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by FredrikH Monday, September 17, 2012 7:30 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 11:00 AM
  • That was my problem exactly with mine as well.  We removed 2 projects that were merged into other projects and that section still had the number of projects at 6 when it was now only 4.  Once I changed that, it resolved my issue.

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Well, the solution I'm working at this right moment has 9 projects, 3 of which are source controlled (same TFS). The solution file has only one such global section and unless I connect to the TF Server first, I always get the message:

Open solution by clicking .sln file ---> Always message

Open studio, and immediately open solution ---> Always message

Open studio, connect to TFS, *THEN* open solution ---> NEVER message.

Open studio while having a TFS related window (e.g. TeamExplorer) open and visible from last session, and immediately open solution ---> SOMETIMES message (if I manage to open the solution before studio has the time to connect to the TFS, I get the message, if I delay a few seconds, then I don't).

After a clean system installation, I no longer get this message under the specified conditions. Being a developer for years, and after other seemingly unrelated subtle changes that I've noticed after the clean install, my flair tells me that the "error" is in fact somehow related to authentication against the TFS server... Don't ask why... I couldn't really say, but it seems this authentication follows different paths when VS is launched and tries automatically to connect and when the user connects manually, generating this rogue message. The message itself is definitely wrong and has nothing to do with the properties of the solution. The same message appears correctly when there are in fact "errors" in the solution file, as mentinned in related posts.

Wednesday, November 2, 2011 10:32 AM
  • We suddenly got this today after a few developers added new projects to the solution at around the same time - think there were some merge conflicts and people not paying attention when merging.

Anyway, I tried to delete the duplicate TFS GlobalSection to no avail... so I deleted both of them, then re-bound the solution file to TFS. It's all working fine now :)

FYI - One section was displaying 52 projects, one section was displaying 53 projects. But there are 64 projects in the solution :)

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:24 AM
  • I ran into this same issue today -- after hand editing an .sln file -- clearly I derp'd something up -- you always try to be more careful than the last time -- but somehow, someway, these files are just ridiculously hard to hand edit (versus other file types, like .csproj files which are super easy.)

Anyway, I was able to get around the issue.  I load the solution.  Right click on the root node in Solution explorer (that's the solution) -- and click "Clean Solution" -- then I hit save all -- closed and re-open the solution and was good to go. :-)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Just to toss in another two cents on this issue, here is what I observed and learned and how I resolved it.

• It still happens in VS 2012
    • The bug (from a developer's point of view) is that the error message is uselessly vague.
    • The bug (from VS's point of view) is that there is corruption in the .SLN file.
    • A secondary bug is that VS has no GUI way to help you resolve this corruption.

The most common corruption that VS can inject is related to the Source Code Control sections.

NOTE: VS injected this corruption, no hand editing of the file is required!

Possibly the SccNumberOfProjects is listed with different values in different sections.

* Possibly the section "GlobalSection(TeamFoundationVersionControl)" is duplicated with inconsistent information.  Check paths especially if you renamed a project at the source control level.

In either case, opening the .sln file in Notepad and correcting the corruption by hand will _resolve_ the problem.

-Jesse

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:51 PM