none
Are Windows Forms,WPF,UWP platforms or frameworks? RRS feed

• Question

• Are Windows Forms,WPF,UWP platforms or frameworks?

I get confused with the platforms and frameworks.In some sites they refer Windows Forms as platform and sometimes as framework.Please solve this confusion

Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:22 AM

All replies

• The main reference is MSDN :

Choose your app platform

Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:27 AM
  • I referred it.They are referring to Winforms as platforms

So are you saying windows form is a platform?

Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:46 AM
  • The main reference is MSDN :

Choose your app platform

I referred the page.Windows refer winforms as a platform.So is WindowsForm and UWP are platforms ?Are you sure it isn't a framework?
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 10:49 AM
  • A Framework is for example .NET, used on WinForms or WPF Platforms.
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 11:35 AM
  • A Framework is optimized for specific tasks and is designed to make you write the least amount of code before delivering. Generally speaking you can should only use one framework per application, using two would cause responsibility conflicts e.g. over shortcut key dispatching. A platform is not task oriented and you have freedom - and responsibility - to build what you need. E.g. operating systems are platforms but not frameworks. You can have multiple level of platforms in an application, for example, you can write a Spring application in Java that runs on Windows or Linux. These labels are subjective of course, and whether what is platform depends on who you talk to. For example, for web developers, web browser is their platform. But for application developers, a web browser is just another component they can embed on their forms. 

Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:41 PM
  • Thank you 
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:24 AM