Project on a network drive

Question

• I am working on a multi-platform project, supporting windows desktop and windows rt (among others). The developments is mainly done in desktop environment. Since WinRT projects can't be loaded at all when visual studio is ran on Windows 7, and for various reasons Windows 8 is not possible everywhere, we are using virtual machines (Virtual Box) when a change is made which needs the RT projects updated as well.

It works fine if the whole solution is copied to the virtual machine locally, but it is rather annoying having to copy everything back and forth all the time (plus it's prone to errors), so we've tried using shared folders. The compilation itself seems to be working (although we had to tell visual studio to stop worrying about the project being "unsafe", and to remove /MP switch from each project), but we just don't seem to be able to actually run it. We are getting

Error  DEP0700  Registration of the app failed. Rejecting a request to register from ..\AppX\AppxManifest.xml because the files are on a network share. Copy the files to the local computer before registering the package. (0x80073cf9)

Is there any known workaround for that? I am guessing copy/install/run/attach debugger is possible, but it sounds way too complicated for it (what's wrong with network shared anyway, how come files are safer when being on machine A than being on machine B is beyond me).

Thanks!

Sunday, April 27, 2014 2:23 PM

Answers

• And by "redirect" I mean: in project-->Properties, set the build OutputPath to a local drive.  I tend to use c:\temp\projects\.  Better yet, everyone in the project can use the same settings with (almost) no side-effects.

Network Developer Experience Team (Microsoft)

Monday, April 28, 2014 10:35 PM

All replies

• As indicated the apps needs to be local. If you're using source control you can sync the VirtualBox version of the project so you have it natively rather than trying to share the same copy to different machines.

Other than that you could script copying the project so it's less cumbersome and error prone than manually doing so.

--Rob

Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, although that was exactly the answer I was afraid of :(

I can't make any sense of that restriction at all to be honest. I guess it is some kind of security measure, but a) can't it be disabled if one chose so? and b) how would copying a file from one location to another make it "safer", it's the same file after all.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:20 PM
  • There's an easy solution: redirect the build directory only to a c:\temp folder.  The source files remain nicely networked, but the build files, being local, can be used to launch your app. 

Monday, April 28, 2014 10:31 PM
  • And by "redirect" I mean: in project-->Properties, set the build OutputPath to a local drive.  I tend to use c:\temp\projects\.  Better yet, everyone in the project can use the same settings with (almost) no side-effects.

Monday, April 28, 2014 10:35 PM