Azure Tools For .Net Framework 4.5 RRS feed

• Question

• I can't test or deploy my Azure web site because I use an ASP NET MVC web project that correctly targets .NET Framework 4.5. That web project contains an an Azure Web Role.

My Azure project references the Web Role in the web project.

When I compile the project in Visual Studio 2012 I get the following error message:

Error 1 Windows Azure Cloud Service projects currently support roles that run on .NET Framework version 3.5 and 4.  Please set the Target Framework property in the project settings for project 'DevTreks.WebMVC' to .NET Framework 3.5 or .NET Framework 4. ..\DevTreks.WebMVC\DevTreks.WebMVC.csproj 1 1 DevTreks.WebMVC.Azure

My specific questions:

What date will a new Azure Tools for .Net be available that corrects this problem (including default templates for Visual Studio 2012)? Where can it be downloaded?

I read this forum yesterday and found out that Azure web sites now use .Net Framework 4.5, which is step 1. Now for step 2.

Thanks in advance for a reply.

Kevin Boyle

President, DevTreks

Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:01 PM

Answers

• Btw, the latest SDK brings .NET 4.5 support to Cloud Services (PaaS - web roles, worker roles, etc...):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35448

This was released late last night. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevin,

.NET 4.5 is not supported, at this moment, in Windows Azure Cloud Services. You should target your App to .NET 4.0 instead.

Keep checking for the Guest OS Updates: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ee924680.aspx

Best Regards,
    Carlos Sardo

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:07 PM
  • Hi Carlos:

One of the Azure team members blogged yesterday to confirm that .Net 4.5 is now supported on Azure sites.

I'm already targeting .Net 4.5 because I needed the new features it offers. So .Net 4.0 is no longer an option.

I'm looking for a reply that gives a specific date when a new version of Azure tools will be available that supports .Net 4.5 (so I can test and deply my Azure web site).

It's been over two months since VS 2012 came out, and I don't think this request is unreasonable.

thanks again,

Kevin

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Hi Kevin,

.Net 4.5 is not enabled for Azure Web Sites (which is a new feature) but not for Web and Worker roles. That's why there's still no update to VS 2012 tools. If you are using a web or worker role in your project, you'll have to wait little bit longer. Scott Guthrie posted in his blog that .Net 4.5 will be enabled for web and worker roles in October, which should be any day now.

Cheers,

Murat
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Hi Carlos:

One of the Azure team members blogged yesterday to confirm that .Net 4.5 is now supported on Azure sites.

I'm already targeting .Net 4.5 because I needed the new features it offers. So .Net 4.0 is no longer an option.

I'm looking for a reply that gives a specific date when a new version of Azure tools will be available that supports .Net 4.5 (so I can test and deply my Azure web site).

It's been over two months since VS 2012 came out, and I don't think this request is unreasonable.

thanks again,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I didn't knew that... Could you share that blog post link please? Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Carlos Sardo

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:51 AM
  • Carlos:

Here's the link.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsazurewebsitespreview/thread/3fab0f32-23c9-4122-9ece-8c3edbadde47

I have been following some of the linked blogs, but I guess I'm getting antsy.

Thanks for the assistance.

k

Friday, October 26, 2012 4:36 PM
  • Btw, the latest SDK brings .NET 4.5 support to Cloud Services (PaaS - web roles, worker roles, etc...):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35448

This was released late last night. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:38 PM
  • I downloaded the latest SDK and installed using the web installer. When I publish to Azure, it still get the error I had before:

"Windows Azure Cloud Service projects currently support roles that run on .NET Framework version 3.5 and 4.  Please set the Target Framework property in the project settings for project 'icicle' to .NET Framework 3.5 or .NET Framework 4."

Do I need to change some settings to overcome this error?

Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:08 PM