Restore Backup RRS feed

• Question

• User1245681112 posted

I had to replace my hard drive which was going bad.  I reinstalled Sql 2005 and now need to restore the backup that I have.  I selected Restore Database and chose From Device, and selected the backup location on J: drive and selected the backup file which has no extenstion.  I checked the checkbox next to the backup set to restore.  Click OK and then I get this error message:

Restore failed for Server

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: Directory lookup for the file "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\MyDB_Data.MDF" failed with the operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.). (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

I don't know why it is looking for a MDF file as this was never in the Backup folder.  Can someone please help me on this?  I thought I was doing the right thing making a backup all along and now I can't restore it! 

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:09 AM

All replies

• User-599719271 posted
    off the top of my head, I think that's where it's trying to restore TO. try either specifying another path, or creating that folder so it can target it for the newly restored DB
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:29 AM
  • User1245681112 posted
    That was exactly it.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:56 PM
  • User1394363656 posted

There is third-party software that can help you some way, MiniTool ShadowMaker is a good option for all choices. It has just updated to the latest version of 2.0/ 

Monday, May 14, 2018 9:13 AM
  • User-236208671 posted

In the restore dialog, go to options and change the path of the file under Restore As to a valid path.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 1:36 PM