none
Generic Trust failure RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to install .Net Framework 4 so that I can run a video editing software. I keep getting the Generic Trust Failure notification and it wont install. I've tried multiple suggestions I've gotten from the internet, yet nothing is working. I've attached the log.

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1
    CommandLine = C:\afb361b894b149295245c5aba9265a21\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /ia64 /web
    TimeZone = Eastern Daylight Time
    Initial LCID = 1033
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism

Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded

Number of applicable items: 11
    C:\afb361b894b149295245c5aba9265a21\SetupUtility.exe - Signature verification for file SetupUtility.exe (C:\afb361b894b149295245c5aba9265a21\SetupUtility.exe) failed with error 0x800b010a (A certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority.)
    No FileHash provided. Cannot perform FileHash verification for SetupUtility.exe
    File SetupUtility.exe (C:\afb361b894b149295245c5aba9265a21\SetupUtility.exe), failed authentication. (Error = -2146762486). It is recommended that you delete this file and retry setup again.
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x800B010B), "Generic trust failure. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:06).

• Moved by edhickey Monday, August 8, 2011 2:47 PM (From:.NET 4: Windows Workflow Foundation)
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Bos8,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

According to your description, would you please try the methods mentioned in this article first: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702?
    Also, if you are using the web installer to install, please download and use the standalone installer: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

Additionally, please check if the temporary folder "C:\afb361b894b149295245c5aba9265a21" exists in your disk. (Please enable Windows Explorer to also show hidden files by Tools menu >> Folder Options >> View tab >> check Show hidden files, folders, and drives) If the folder exists, please delete it.

Before installation, please turn off your anti-virus/antispyware software; clean your %temp% folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp% >> OK). Then run the setup with Administrator privilege: right-click the isntaller -> Run as administrator.

If the installation still failed, collect the installation log files from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool. Send the vslogs.cab file in the %temp% folder to me (E-mail: v-anwu_at_microsoft_dot_com). Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi Bos8,

Thanks for sending me the email. I've check the installation logs, and it reports the same signature verification failure for SetupUtility.exe error.

Would you please try the following steps to manually extract and install .NET Framework:

1. Copy the download standalone installer dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe to folder of your choice;
    2. Open Command Prompt with Administrator privilege, and using cd <path> command to navigate to the folder;
    3. Run dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /x, and choose a directory to extract the installer files;
    4. Open Windows Explorer, and run the setup from the file extracted directory

Additionally, this issue might related with your root certificates corrupted, you can try methods mentioned in this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/522d9bf5-686a-4a47-b6f1-5bed792a45ff

Best Regards, 

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Bos8,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

According to your description, would you please try the methods mentioned in this article first: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702?
    Also, if you are using the web installer to install, please download and use the standalone installer: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

Additionally, please check if the temporary folder "C:\afb361b894b149295245c5aba9265a21" exists in your disk. (Please enable Windows Explorer to also show hidden files by Tools menu >> Folder Options >> View tab >> check Show hidden files, folders, and drives) If the folder exists, please delete it.

Before installation, please turn off your anti-virus/antispyware software; clean your %temp% folder (Start Menu >> Run >> Type "%temp% >> OK). Then run the setup with Administrator privilege: right-click the isntaller -> Run as administrator.

If the installation still failed, collect the installation log files from "%temp%" folder with the Log Collection Tool. Send the vslogs.cab file in the %temp% folder to me (E-mail: v-anwu_at_microsoft_dot_com). Note: Please attach the link of this post in the mail.

If there are any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi Bos8,

Thanks for sending me the email. I've check the installation logs, and it reports the same signature verification failure for SetupUtility.exe error.

Would you please try the following steps to manually extract and install .NET Framework:

1. Copy the download standalone installer dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe to folder of your choice;
    2. Open Command Prompt with Administrator privilege, and using cd <path> command to navigate to the folder;
    3. Run dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe /x, and choose a directory to extract the installer files;
    4. Open Windows Explorer, and run the setup from the file extracted directory

Additionally, this issue might related with your root certificates corrupted, you can try methods mentioned in this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/522d9bf5-686a-4a47-b6f1-5bed792a45ff

Best Regards, 

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:43 AM
  • Hi Bos8,

Any updates? Has this issue resolved?

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:55 AM