No Scrollbar on Document Library Web Part RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

My office are using Sharepoint 2007 for their intranet and I have been asked to assisst on a particular page.

The problem - when I add a document library web part to the relevant page and fix the height, the web part only shows those the documents which naturally fit within that height - the remainder are not visible.

Is there no way I can add a scrollbar to this web part so that I can fix the height and still allow users to scroll through all the content of the library?

I tried removing the height limit and restricting the limit on the number of items to be displayed, to see if this enabled any scrollbar function - but to no evail.

Very grateful of any ideas you might have,

Stubee777

• Edited by Stubee777 Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:30 PM spelling correction
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:38 PM (Sharepoint 2007) removed from Title - default in these forums so needs only be in text
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:29 PM

Answers

• > I tried removing the height limit and restricting the limit on the number of items to be displayed, to see if this enabled any scrollbar function - but to no evail.

No scrollbar is generated because no scrollbar is necessary. The "scroll" function is replaced by the Next (and Previous) options.

In effect therefor you are requesting a scrollbar function. Stop. Whether you then has specified height or not is of minor importance in that request because the code for it will be the same.

The first thing I would do in your situation would be to check whether this request is a "it would be nice if", in which case I would reply that it can't be done by using the methods / parameters provided by the product.

Only if it's considered essential to have a specific height for a web part (usually specifying a restricted number of items - which in effect keeps the height within certain boundaries if not an exact number of pixels - is enough) should you go further.

My opinion only ...

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    • Marked as answer by David HM Monday, April 11, 2011 1:57 AM
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 1:46 PM