none
Best way to organize modeling projects of a composite application? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everyone,

I'm going to create a solution structure to organize modeling projects of a new system, which is based on composite application architecture. According to what I have found so far, best practices are to group the modeling projects by layers of the application. But in my coding solution (based on Prism 4), I'd like to group modules into its own project; and the project of each module will have its own layers (Presentation, Business Logic, Data Access). I found that there are incompatibles between the structure of these two solutions. I wonder which is the best way to organize the modeling projects of a composite application?

Thank you.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 3:08 PM

All replies

• Could you say a little more about the kinds of models you expect to create and what you want to use them for? Just layer diagrams, or layer plus UML models, and if UML what will you include in the UML models?

--Stuart

Monday, September 12, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Dear Stuart,

My problem is how to organize UML artifacts and diagrams of a large software application into modeling projects and Visual Studio solutions. According to the knowledge I have learnt from Visual Studio 2010 Architecture Tooling Guidance at http://vsarchitectureguide.codeplex.com/, the recommended organization is to create an overall architecture modeling project and each modeling project for each layer of the system. But the application I'm going to build is based on Prism 4 framework, http://compositewpf.codeplex.com/, where I'd like to create an architectural modeling project for the architecture of the system, and additional modeling projects for each module.

The problem arose when I wanted to share UML artifacts between modules. Assume that I have two modules: Order Management and Warehouse, and one modeling project for each of them. Each modeling project would be developed by a different team, along with their coding projects to implement the module.

In Order Management module, I have some of UML elements:

• Order
    • OrderLineItem

In Warehouse module I would have this element (beside the others):

• Product

The OrderLineItem element would have an association to the Product element. Because they are reside in UML models of different modeling projects, OrderLineItem cannot have an reference to the Product element.

Would you mind giving me some suggestion?

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:44 PM