Please Help! I have a subscription/replication issue with the error - Replication-Replication Distribution Subsystem: agent (null) failed. The publication 'blah' does not exist. RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting this error and my subscription table isn't populating:
    The publication 'publish_playerSession_off_serverABC' does not exist.

Other setup items: 
    1) Both servers are on the same domain Windows Server 2008 running SQL Server 2008 and the SQL agent is running under a network account. 
    2) I have the publication destination on a shared network drive & the network account mentioned above has access to this drive. 

Thanks in Advance! Carl 

Carl

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 6:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Carl,

Has the Publisher or Subscriber ever been renamed?

The error The publication 'Foo' does not exist - I've seen this error after creating a subscription when the Publisher had previously been renamed but sp_dropserver <old_name> and sp_addserver <new_name>, local had not been run.

If this is what you are running into, drop you subscription, then follow the procedure in Rename a Computer that Hosts a Stand-Alone Instance of SQL Server, then recreate your subscription and try again.

Brandon Williams (blog | linkedin)

• Marked as answer by tracycai Monday, August 18, 2014 8:48 AM
    Friday, August 8, 2014 5:38 PM

All replies

• Do you have that Publication(publish_playerSession_off_serverABC)?

Did you check the below link

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2715/tracking-down-sql-server-replication-distribution-subsystem-agent-null-failed-errors/

--Prashanth

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:06 PM
  • I deleted and recreated all the subscription/publication jobs on both the publication and subscription server but now am getting the following error on the subscription server: SQL Server could not create a subscription for Subscriber 'server abc', This subscription already exists. (New Subscription Wizard).

But there is nothing in the drop down node under local subscriptions on the subscription server. 

Is there any other way to see what subscriptions exist? 

Thanks!

Carl

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 9:14 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried using sp_dropsubscription to drop the subscription? If not, you can try it to test the issue.

sp_dropsubscription

@publication=  'publication',

@article= 'all',

@subscriber= 'subscriber',

@destination_db= 'destination_db',

@ignore_distributor = 1

For more information about sp_dropsubscription, please see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms184385.aspx

If any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 7, 2014 6:07 AM
  • Thanks Tracy - I was able to delete the subscription on the publication server and was able to recreate most of the subscription on the subscription server but so far have been unable to start the subscription agent. 

I ran the command exec sp_link_publication yesterday and received the error: "The Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) service could not be contacted. If you would like distributed transaction functionality, please start this service." 

WTF? Anyhow - Googled this issue for awhile and was advised to run a command with a utility called subinacl.exe but the command failed stating that access is denied even though i'm an admin on my computer & I ran the command promp with elevated privileges. 

I also downloaded a tool called DTCping.exe and was able to dtcping each server when the utility was running on the publication & subscription servers after tweaking some registry settings on the subscription server & restarting. 

Well now i'm still stuck because the subscription agent is failing to start stating (this is the last error in the job that kicks off the agent): 
    Agent message code 21056. The subscription to publication 'publish_igt_period_data' has expired or does not exist.

Whew! Well i have other priorities this morning but will update this thread if I make any progress on this issue later... 

Carl

Thursday, August 7, 2014 5:00 PM
  • Hi Carl,

Has the Publisher or Subscriber ever been renamed?

The error The publication 'Foo' does not exist - I've seen this error after creating a subscription when the Publisher had previously been renamed but sp_dropserver <old_name> and sp_addserver <new_name>, local had not been run.

If this is what you are running into, drop you subscription, then follow the procedure in Rename a Computer that Hosts a Stand-Alone Instance of SQL Server, then recreate your subscription and try again.

Brandon Williams (blog | linkedin)

• Marked as answer by tracycai Monday, August 18, 2014 8:48 AM
    Friday, August 8, 2014 5:38 PM