BizTalk to send out a summary of messages in a report RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement for BizTalk to send out a summary report, by looking at a batch of incoming messages and then summarise the data, for example the number of samples received at a specific date, number of certain parameters within the messages etc.

Is this even possible using BizTalk? Could I use SSRS to do this? If so how?

Wednesday, December 9, 2020 12:26 PM

All replies

• If BizTalk is processing them anyway, I would set up a custom DB and as each message is processed by BizTalk, create a record in a table with the details to summarise.

Once the batch is complete you can then either get BizTalk or an another process such as SSRS to create a summary report.

Without more detailed requirements about the report, e.g. how fancy and what format (email, text file, PDF?) I can't recommend what you should use.

Wednesday, December 9, 2020 7:53 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. 

I am looking to produce an excel format report, or could even be in text or PDF etc. as the requirement is to just send this report as an attachment of an email or in the body of the email.

The report will be nothing fancy. It will just contain a few columns such as total number of X parameters, total number of orders received, a comment found within the message, and so on, and would like to summarise the data from messages coming into BizTalk in the last 24hours.

Ideally would like to only use BizTalk if that is possible, but doesn't seem like BizTalk has this sort of capability unless using another process like SSRS, or any other options if there are anything better suited for this type of work.

Wednesday, December 9, 2020 9:31 PM
  • Yes, you can do it in BizTalk like I described above if all you want is a simple text file.

Anything fancier than that, I would use SSRS.

Sunday, December 13, 2020 11:16 PM