TFS 2013 Git across multiple remote locations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I asked this in the setup and admin forum, but this would be a better place.

We have a TFS 2013 implementation with two remote offices. All of our source code is in the integrated TFS Git repository.

We have recently set up a build server at one of the remote locations - there is a slow WAN link between the locations.

I have installed a TFS Proxy server at the remote location but it only seems to have any effect in a TFS Source Control implementation not a Git one. Builds run at the remote location take FAR longer to run, as the Git pull takes MUCH longer across the WAN.

Am I wrong about the TFS Proxy? Is there a way to use it for Git? If not what would be the best solution to cache the source files at the remote location to speed up the build process?

Thanks,

Mark.

Friday, June 12, 2015 4:37 PM

Answers

• Git is indeed not supported by the TFVC proxy.

Git uses a highly complex protocol that only sends the differences between the local copy and the remote repository, making it hard to use a proxy.

Make sure that your build server is able to keep it's local copy of the Git repository and that "Clean Repository" is not turned on. If it's configures like the picture below it will always grab a full clone of the repository.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Saturday, June 13, 2015 2:23 PM

All replies

• Git is indeed not supported by the TFVC proxy.

Git uses a highly complex protocol that only sends the differences between the local copy and the remote repository, making it hard to use a proxy.

Make sure that your build server is able to keep it's local copy of the Git repository and that "Clean Repository" is not turned on. If it's configures like the picture below it will always grab a full clone of the repository.

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Saturday, June 13, 2015 2:23 PM
  • Hi Mark, 

Thanks for your post.

For this issue, Jesse provided us the helpful information, please confirm that.  

If there’s anything misunderstood, please describe your question in more detail and we will try to provide the better responses.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 15, 2015 3:01 AM