none
Expression Web 4 sites in Dreamweaver RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering from others experience whether there are any complications editing sites I  have created in EWD4 in the latest versions of Dreamweaver.

The sites are php but mainly css and html with some php and java scripts (no aspx, just a couple asp sites).

I remember coming across something to do with libaries in Dreamweaver coding and wonder if navigations scripts or php scripts and the like have to be inserted in Dreamweaver in a certain way, or whether DW can just look at the code created by EWD and understand it exactly.

Monday, August 20, 2012 5:08 PM

Answers

• Not a problem. I use both—EW since EW2, up to EW4, Dreamweaver since MX or 2004MX, right up to CS6. DW can understand EW's DWTs, which are similar in syntax to MX's, but EW can't understand the more advanced DW DWTs. Basically, my experience has been that EW sites edit fine in DW, while the reverse depends upon what DW features you have used. As far as scripts are concerned, both applications treat them (PHP and javascript) identically.

Oh, except for one key feature—EW has a built-in development server that processes and executes/renders PHP code without need for a testing server. DW requires that you either install a local testing server (which I have done—WAMPServer2), or designate an online server for the purpose (your hosting provider is fine, presuming that it supports the language in question—PHP probably OK, ASP.NET likely only on a Windows server).

Easy way to test is to backup your site, then do some round-trip testing. That way you've got a backup if there are problems.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by PhilSense Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:38 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Nope, I open sites in both regularly. The only issue comes in if you create a DWT in a modern version of Dreamweaver since the syntax used in EW is compatable with the older Dreamweaver template syntax.

Libraries and included pages will only update when changed in the program that created them (aka includes in EW, library items in Dreamweaver) but each program will simply ignore the program specific code it does not understand.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

• Marked as answer by PhilSense Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:37 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 10:05 PM

All replies

• Not a problem. I use both—EW since EW2, up to EW4, Dreamweaver since MX or 2004MX, right up to CS6. DW can understand EW's DWTs, which are similar in syntax to MX's, but EW can't understand the more advanced DW DWTs. Basically, my experience has been that EW sites edit fine in DW, while the reverse depends upon what DW features you have used. As far as scripts are concerned, both applications treat them (PHP and javascript) identically.

Oh, except for one key feature—EW has a built-in development server that processes and executes/renders PHP code without need for a testing server. DW requires that you either install a local testing server (which I have done—WAMPServer2), or designate an online server for the purpose (your hosting provider is fine, presuming that it supports the language in question—PHP probably OK, ASP.NET likely only on a Windows server).

Easy way to test is to backup your site, then do some round-trip testing. That way you've got a backup if there are problems.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by PhilSense Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:38 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 7:46 PM
  • Nope, I open sites in both regularly. The only issue comes in if you create a DWT in a modern version of Dreamweaver since the syntax used in EW is compatable with the older Dreamweaver template syntax.

Libraries and included pages will only update when changed in the program that created them (aka includes in EW, library items in Dreamweaver) but each program will simply ignore the program specific code it does not understand.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com

• Marked as answer by PhilSense Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:37 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 10:05 PM