none
Outlook PST File Format : Is this document available? RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking throught the new "Open Specifications" area and was unable to find PST File format document.

Has this been released? 

If not, will it ever be released?

Tks

Russ 
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:22 AM

Answers

• Russell,

Currently there is no standalone documentation for the .PST format and there is no plans to release documentation for PST format in the immediate future. 

If there are any changes I will let you know.
    Developer Consultant
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Russell,

Thanks for your inquire!

Someone from our group will answer your question shortly.

Thanks!

SEBASTIAN CANEVARI - MSFT SEE Protocol Documentation Team
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:42 PM
  •  

Hi Russell, There is no standalone documentation for the .pst format, though parts of the format are documented in several different places. If you would like to share with us the particular scenario you have in mind we may be able to point you to documentation or tools to accomplish your goals.

Steve Smegner
    Application Development Consulting Group

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:29 AM
  • I would be interested in any documents that reference the PST file format.

Specifically I am interested in the internal stucture of the file format.

An example:
    Do you have a document that describes the first 471 bytes of any PST file, this is the header for the PST file.

Thanks

Russell Mangel
    Las Vegas, NV
    Friday, July 25, 2008 7:06 AM
  • Russell,

Currently there is no standalone documentation for the .PST format and there is no plans to release documentation for PST format in the immediate future. 

If there are any changes I will let you know.
    Developer Consultant
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:23 PM
  • Hi Russell !!
    I have the same problem. Did you find the information about PST ???
    Monday, November 3, 2008 8:01 PM
  • There is some third-party (reverse engineered?) documentation on the file format in libpst. The most current / alive of the various forks seems to be at http://www.five-ten-sg.com/libpst/

Try http://www.five-ten-sg.com/libpst/rn01re06.html

When you get to the part about data types and flags, you probably just want to refer to the equivalent Exchange specs (e..g. MS-OXPROPS (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc433490(EXCHG.80).aspx)

Also, remember that this documentation was probably reverse engineered from file examples (given that there apparently isn't any Microsoft documentation), and is therefore almost certainly incomplete and might be wrong.

The other option would be to work on libpst instead. I haven't tried it for a very long time though.

Brad

• Proposed as answer by Brad Hards Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:55 AM
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:55 AM
  • I have not found any new information, please email me at russell@tymer.net for more information.

Russ
    Friday, December 19, 2008 9:42 AM
  • I am aware of libpst, thanks for that information though.

libpst author(s) are not familar with MAPI data structures.

Specifically the ECC7 and ECBC Page formats, they don't have 100% of those page formats reversed.

Send me an email for more information, russell@tymer.net

Russ
    Friday, December 19, 2008 9:46 AM