none
Documentation Suggestion RRS feed

• Question

• When you reference something in documentation  that produces an image like  "vbCritical" that is a single character, add something that identifies the image for the viewer right there. 

In the "MsgBox" documentation, you could at least add "!" to show what the particular character is.  As it is, I have to write the code, look at the result. and keep my own notes.

Also while I am at it, why not have a constant that points to the list, like "vbMsgBoxReturns".  Sometimes you want to use the list to identify what comes back in a subroutine argument.

Monday, September 11, 2017 4:11 PM

All replies

• When you reference something in documentation  that produces an image like  "vbCritical" that is a single character, add something that identifies the image for the viewer right there. 

In the "MsgBox" documentation, you could at least add "!" to show what the particular character is.  As it is, I have to write the code, look at the result. and keep my own notes.

Also while I am at it, why not have a constant that points to the list, like "vbMsgBoxReturns".  Sometimes you want to use the list to identify what comes back in a subroutine argument.

I don't know what the question is, but if you're referring to XML documentation, the standard XML skeleton created has a return type tag:

''' <summary>
        ''' Gets or sets a boolean value which indicates whether or not the count is to be 
        ''' automaticlly adjusted if the internal timer's .Elapsed event is greater than 
        ''' once per second. Default: True.
        ''' </summary>
        ''' <value></value>
        ''' <returns></returns>
        ''' <remarks>This can happen if, for example, the syncronizing object is set to a WinForm 
        ''' and the process called takes longer than the time slice allows it. If this boolean, 
        ''' is true, the counter will be adjusted in an attempt to correct the counter's value. 
        ''' Default: True.</remarks>
        Public Property SyncToElapsedTime As Boolean
            Get
                Return _syncToElapsedTime
            End Get

Set(ByVal value As Boolean)
                _syncToElapsedTime = value
            End Set
        End Property

I'm not using it in that one because it wouldn't make sense to, but it's there by default.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Monday, September 11, 2017 4:18 PM
  • Hello,

Your question is lacking details such as "what viewer", where are you adding a "!" symbol etc?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, September 11, 2017 5:29 PM