none
Debugging Nuget projects with project.json

Question

• I recently updated all my solutions from nuget 2.8 on VS2013 (packages.config) to latest nuget 3.5 on VS2015 (project.json) all on .net 451. The problem I'm having is with Reference Paths. When I was on packages.config I could setup a reference path to the solution providing the nuget projects in order to debug my generated nugets. However, since the update to project.json I am unable to do this. 

Does anyone know if this feature is still supported? I can debug if I make a symbols nupkg, however, this is not optimal and takes considerably longer to debug than what Reference Paths offered before. 

Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:41 PM

All replies

• Hi McMoses,

What's your nuget project type?

As far as I know, the .NET Core projects are using project.json file to manage nuget packages. If your nuget package is a .NET Framework project, it could not be referenced by .NET Core project directly. Because they are using different platform. So please confirm your nuget project has the same platform with the project that reference it.

I have tried create a .NET Core Nuget package project and reference this project in another .NET Core Console application, it could be debugged into the source code successfully.

If there has any difference in my steps, please share your detailed steps how do you operate to help us reproduce this issue. It is benefit to let us confirm whether it is a VS2015 issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 20, 2017 8:47 AM
  • Hi Weiwei, thank you for your reply.

The frameworks in each of my project.json's, for all projects, are listed as net451 with the target framework on 4.5.1. This includes the projects that generate my nuget packages and symbols. I'm not able to update to .net core at this time.

I will try to create a solution to reproduce soon, work has me a little stretched on time. 
    • Edited by McMoses Monday, January 23, 2017 9:37 PM
    Monday, January 23, 2017 9:36 PM
  • Hi McMoses,

You could share the detailed steps that you do here, I will try reproduce this issue by myself to check this issue.

If you have reproduced this issue, please share the sample solution to OneDrive and I will download it and check this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:06 AM
  • I don't have access to onedrive behind my proxy, instead I uploaded it here: https://file.town/download/slk9qk3u711puqbrysu7r6uk8

The zip includes a read me with instructions to reproduce. It's simply two solutions, one generates a nuget for the other mvc app to consume. If you try to debug from the nuget solution with a path reference set, it will not work.

If that isn't acceptable, I can try to email it to myself and upload it from another location. Thanks again

• Edited by McMoses Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:50 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:16 PM
  • Hi McMoses,

According to your sample solution, I get the same issue that I could not debug the nuget project that referenced in consumed project.

I have submit this issue to Visual Studio Connect. Please vote and add your comments for the feedback. And please wait for the response from the report team. They will verify this issue seriously.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/3119556

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:16 AM