[Debugging Extensibility] How to instantiate a IDebugSymbolProvider with PDB file path? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a doubt about IDebugSymbolProvider of VS Debugging Extensibility, and I hope someone can do me favor.

In MSDN, IDebugSymbolProvider is described to be obtained by using COM's CoCreateInstance function by Debug Engine, and I can understand this description. But my doubt is that how Debug Engine pass the PDB path information to Symbol Provider when Debug Engine instantiates the symbol provider? In my opinion, Symbol Provider's work is to handle the symbol, so it must access the PDB file of the program being debugged, and it is implemented using DIA SDK or DbgHelp. But I did not find any method of IDebugSymbolProvider that I can pass PDB path to it.

Thank you very much for any help.

Best Regards
    Monday, March 7, 2011 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hello Wangbaotao,

Thank you for your question.

I am currently looking into this issue and will give you an update as soon as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Ziwei Chen

Ziwei Chen [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 8:52 AM
  • Hi Ziwei Chen,

Thank you very much for your help, and I look forward to your update.

Best Regards,

WangBaotao

WangBaotao
    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:25 AM
  •  Hello Ziwei Chen,
            Sorry to trouble you. 
            Have you made progress with the question that I asked some days earlier?
    Thanks
    Best Regards,
    Wang Baotao
    WangBaotao
    Friday, April 8, 2011 6:07 AM