none
VS2015 Remote Tools SP3 - Access Violation / 0xc0000005 on msvsmon.exe - when running new hardware

Question

• Hello,

I am running into an odd issue.

Previous remote debugging efforts using VS2015 Update3 and the corresponding Remote Tools (Update3) have been successful
    on several older i7 (BayLake) based platforms. 
    Now we received our final platform, based on Apollo Lake (N4200, or J4205). Software setup is 100% identical. And users run into the issue described below.
    Isolating the problem to the Apollo Lake platform, remote debug sessions have been successfully run on all kinds of other hardware found around the office.

Any help, or hint is greatly appreciated.

Problem:

• Remote Tools will run fine. I can add the (domain) user who is debugging remotely.
    • I can hit "Start" in VS2015
    • The host side will after a few seconds display a message that actions take longer than expected.
    • On target side, the Remote Tools will crash.
    • From what I can see, not a single line of code is processed - again, it works fine on the other platform used.
    • Information I was able to gather (two events below):

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          3/16/2017 12:08:42 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Host03PC.domain.com

Description:

Faulting application name: msvsmon.exe, version: 14.0.25424.0, time stamp: 0x578c42fa

Faulting module name: VSDebugEng.dll, version: 14.0.25424.0, time stamp: 0x578c3def

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000714a6

Faulting process id: 0x1388

Faulting application start time: 0x01d29e8850254353

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64\msvsmon.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Remote Debugger\x64\VSDebugEng.dll

Report Id: 078d780f-3e9e-4a96-91a1-9ad0383cc979

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

=================================================

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Visual Studio Remote Debugger

Date:          3/16/2017 12:08:42 PM

Event ID:      1002

Task Category: None

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          domain\user

Computer:      Host03PC.domain.com

Description:

The description for Event ID 1002 from source Visual Studio Remote Debugger cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The remote debugger has encountered a serious internal error, and must abort the remote debugging session. Please restart debugging.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Dasjan,

1 Don’t know which OS is on your machine, as it’s known that it’s the issue of incompatibility between VS2015 and Windows Server 2008R2 ( pretty old as it was starting with .NET 3.5) and so upgrade is best solution.

2 0xC0000005 is the code for an access violation.  It happens when you access (read or write) an address that is not mapped to any physical memory or is protected (tried to write to read-only memory, for example). 

In this case, it could be caused by the current machine's memory. Access to uneven memory address is not allowed within some ARM CPU.  That’s why some machine could run it well, I guess the major difference is the memory.

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:46 AM
  • I am having the exact same issue using a clean install of Windows 10 and a brand new install of VS2015.  This is the same right down to the fault offset.  How can we get MS to fix this?

One difference is that I'm having this problem on Intel, not ARM.

Frustrated.

• Edited by scottm1021 Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:42 PM