Any CPU is not supported ...

Question

• What are the effects and processes needed to continue with a windows store app that has a current targeted platform of Any CPU and now; with a desire to add some new features like Bing and Azure Mobile Offline support, must be changed to specific architecture/s.

How do I handle this change in VS and will these features, like Bing maps, or azure mobile office, work for all architectures at the Store level?

Thank you!

Monday, April 14, 2014 5:07 PM

Answers

• You'll have to upload different versions for each architecture, and ensure that each component that you want to use has a version for the architecture you want to support.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, April 14, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Most of these libraries make use of the C++ runtime library. When using that library in C# or VB apps you will have to compile your app against each CPU architecture individually. You can then upload each package to the Windows Store. It's a bit more work than compiling against Any CPU but allows us to mix C++ libraries with C# and VB.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Yes, if they are using WinRT-compatible features.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by EckConnect Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:59 PM

All replies

• You'll have to upload different versions for each architecture, and ensure that each component that you want to use has a version for the architecture you want to support.

Monday, April 14, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Most of these libraries make use of the C++ runtime library. When using that library in C# or VB apps you will have to compile your app against each CPU architecture individually. You can then upload each package to the Windows Store. It's a bit more work than compiling against Any CPU but allows us to mix C++ libraries with C# and VB.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Ricky, do we also compile these features using arm and will RT devices be able to use them?
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:54 AM
  • Yes, if they are using WinRT-compatible features.

• Marked as answer by EckConnect Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:59 PM