none
Propeller Chip Support? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

What are the plans for supporting Parallax Propeller microcontroller.  http://www.parallax.com/  This chip is one of the most powerfull standalone chips for Robotics, if not the #1.  I think it should be a priority for the Robotics Studio.  I am getting tired of learning its assembler language.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:40 AM

Answers

• Parallax, Inc., a Microsoft Robotics Studio (MSRS) Partner, will provide Propeller microcontroller example code that makes the Spin Stamp work in place of the BASIC Stamp with MSRS BasicStamp2 services and the Boe-Bot robot. I am informed that these will be posted on their website next week.

-Joseph Fernando

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:01 PM

All replies

• Parallax, Inc., a Microsoft Robotics Studio (MSRS) Partner, will provide Propeller microcontroller example code that makes the Spin Stamp work in place of the BASIC Stamp with MSRS BasicStamp2 services and the Boe-Bot robot. I am informed that these will be posted on their website next week.

-Joseph Fernando

Friday, November 16, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Wow that'd be cool!
    Are there any more details about what all this is going to be about? Is it just going to make communication faster? or how is it going to use the power of the Propeller in any other way?

If it's going to work with the Spin Stamp, I suppose it should also work with any other Propeller-based project, right? Like the PEKbot

Thanks for the info,
    Alberto
    Friday, November 16, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Has there been any progress on Propeller microcontroller example code from Parallax ? I can not find any examples on the Parallax website.

Thanks

Saturday, February 9, 2008 12:29 PM
  • I asked this question of Parallax support last week and was told that they are not working on any MSRS services at present. They suggested that maybe Microsoft was doing it, but I don't think so.

Trevor

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:02 AM
  • Hello all,

A sample application has been posted by Parallax that illustrates the use of Microsoft Robotics Studio (1.5) BasicStamp2 services with Propeller.  Additional information can be found here:  http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&p=1&m=240781  

Thanks

Joseph Fernando

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Hi Joseph,

That's good news. I'll have to get a Propellor chip for my Boe-Bot and try it out.

Trevor

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:42 AM
  • The Propellor upgrade works!

My SpinStamp (a Propellor chip on a Stamp carrier) and Prop Clip (a USB interface for the SpinStamp) arrived today. It took me longer to read the Propellor manual than it did to upgrade my Boe-Bot. I was a little paranoid about breaking the Boe-Bot and/or the SpinStamp, but everything went smoothly.

All you have to do is take out the old BS2, insert the new SpinStamp, attach the Prop Clip and then download the code provided on the Parallax web site using the Propellor Tool (also downloadable). You need to download to EEPROM and not to RAM. It took me all of five minutes.

A couple of points --

Make sure you get the latest Propellor Tool which is V1.06. The product pages for the Propellor chip link to an old version. The Downloads page is OK.

The Prop Clip is a little strange and it took me a minute or so to figure out how to attach it to the stamp. You have to tilt it at an angle. There are instructions on-line, but it still felt loose. However, the contacts are spring-loaded and it worked fine. It even comes with a retractable mini-USB cable. When you have finished loading the firmware, it is easy to take the Prop Clip off.

The SpinStamp takes a little longer to boot up than the BS2, so don't panic when you don't hear a beep immediately when you turn on the Boe-Bot.

Although this gives you a Propellor chip on-board the Boe-Bot, it does not really take advantage of the power of the chip. There are plenty of opportunites to write more code to use the other half a dozen "cogs" that are sitting idle in the chip. One idea I had is to use the PING sonar kit with the servo mounting to do sonar sweeps as a task on one of the cogs and then send the data to the MSRS service periodically. I'm sure that other people will find ingenious uses for the additional parallel processing power of the Propellor.

Trevor

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:16 AM