none
.NET framework...which one?? RRS feed

• Question

• I am rather confused as to which .NET Framework to use. I have Windows 7 with the latest SP1 download. My system is 64-bit. I have tried downloading a .NET Framework and it tells me I already have it, however I still get the pop-up telling to download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 with a link to Http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/  for the free download. Which one??? I dunno... should it be this complicated.

I'm no computer geek, just looking for some answers from anyone who is!

Monday, September 19, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

• What Tom told you is correct.

Windows 7 installs .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 through 3.5 SP1 as an integral part of the OS. (BTW, this is all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0).  Although the problem is probably with the software sending the message, you can verify the framework on your system with this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

I'll second Tom's question. Can you identify what software is sending the message? Does the message appear every time you boot the computer, by any chance?

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Spiritgirl Friday, September 23, 2011 3:43 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Spirit,

Is there an application popping up telling you to install .NET Framework 2.0?  If you're running Windows 7, you should by default have .NET Framework 3.5 already installed which means you have whatever would be needed for an application that requires .NET Framework 2.0 would need.  Does your application not install or run?  What application is it?

Tom Overton
    • Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:22 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hi Spiritgirl,

Thank you for your post.

First, I recommend you verify the .NET Frameworks you have by using the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool MVP mentioned.

As MVP has said, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 are embedded in Windows 7. If you failed to verify anyone of them, I recommend you try to repair .NET Frameworks by the steps: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

If you failed to repair it, it means some system files on your side are corrupt. You will have to repair or reinstall your OS to solve this problem.

If each .NET Framework is be verified successfully, it means the .NET Frameworks embedded are healthy. In this situation, this issue is caused by the application which require you to install .NET Framework.  

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:10 AM

All replies

• Spirit,

Is there an application popping up telling you to install .NET Framework 2.0?  If you're running Windows 7, you should by default have .NET Framework 3.5 already installed which means you have whatever would be needed for an application that requires .NET Framework 2.0 would need.  Does your application not install or run?  What application is it?

Tom Overton
    • Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:22 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:56 PM
  • What Tom told you is correct.

Windows 7 installs .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 through 3.5 SP1 as an integral part of the OS. (BTW, this is all ONE framework. 2.0 is the base, full, framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0).  Although the problem is probably with the software sending the message, you can verify the framework on your system with this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

I'll second Tom's question. Can you identify what software is sending the message? Does the message appear every time you boot the computer, by any chance?

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:21 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hi Spiritgirl,

Thank you for your post.

First, I recommend you verify the .NET Frameworks you have by using the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool MVP mentioned.

As MVP has said, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 are embedded in Windows 7. If you failed to verify anyone of them, I recommend you try to repair .NET Frameworks by the steps: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

If you failed to repair it, it means some system files on your side are corrupt. You will have to repair or reinstall your OS to solve this problem.

If each .NET Framework is be verified successfully, it means the .NET Frameworks embedded are healthy. In this situation, this issue is caused by the application which require you to install .NET Framework.  

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:10 AM
  • Yes, this pop up appears everytime at boot up.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:10 PM
  • I used the link you suggested and the verification was successful. I don't know what software is sending the message, but does appear whenever I boot my computer.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:16 PM
  • So, it's a startup program that has an issue. Time for some detective work...

We need to identify the culprit, and to do that, an elimination process is necessary.

To see all the programs that automatically start when you boot, please do the following:

Click on the Start Orb and type "msconfig" in the search box. The program Msconfig.exe will appear in the search results. Click on Msconfig.exe to start the program. When the System Configuration dialog appears, click on the startup tab.

You will see a list of all the programs that start automatically when you boot your computer. Deselect them, one at a time, rebooting each time. When you boot and don't see the error message, the last program deselected is the problem.

Once you have identified the problem program, you can then repair it, or uninstall/reinstall it to eliminate the problem. If the problem persists, you will need to contact the program's publisher for technical support.

If you have further questions/issues while going through the process described above, please post back.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Hi Spiritgirl,

I recommend you take a look at this page about how to perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:42 AM