Bind to inherited property

Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to bind to the "Size"-property of a IObservableVector, which is inherited from IVector, using XAML. Is this possible? It doesn't seem to work.

Best Regards,

Liechtenschwein

Friday, August 08, 2014 12:53 PM

Answers

• Since you are using a binding converter you could bind to the IObservableVector itself, defining the binding converter similarly to the following:

public ref class VectorSizeToVisibility sealed : Windows::UI::Xaml::Data::IValueConverter
        {
        public:
            VectorSizeToVisibility(){}

virtual Platform::Object^ Convert(Platform::Object^ value, Windows::UI::Xaml::Interop::TypeName targetType,
                Platform::Object^ parameter, Platform::String^ language)
            {
                auto v1 = safe_cast<IObservableVector<Answer^>^>(value);
                if (v1->Size == 0)
                    return Visibility::Visible;
                else
                    return Visibility::Collapsed;
            }

virtual Platform::Object^ ConvertBack(Platform::Object^ value, Windows::UI::Xaml::Interop::TypeName targetType,
            {
                throw ref new Platform::NotImplementedException();
            }

private:
            ~VectorSizeToVisibility(){}
        };

Where, instead of Answer^ you put in your own type.

If I had to speculate I would say not being able to bind to size is by design.  The issue with allowing binding to IObservableVector->Size is that the binding might have to be re-evaluated every time the Vector contents were modified.  So if you had a loop adding a million items to the vector you would see the binding evaluated a million times.

Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Liechtenschwein,

Size for IVector is read-only, how could you assign a number for it? And what is your scenario?

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, August 11, 2014 9:20 AM
  • I don't want to assign a number for it.

I want to bind the visibility-property of a control to the size property of the IObservableVector that is binded to a CollectionViewSource, using a converter that converts a size of 0 to Visible and every other value to Collapsed. Everything works fine except I can't bind to the Size-property, the Output says IObservaleVector doesn't have this property, eventhough it should be inheritted from IVector.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Since you are using a binding converter you could bind to the IObservableVector itself, defining the binding converter similarly to the following:

public ref class VectorSizeToVisibility sealed : Windows::UI::Xaml::Data::IValueConverter
        {
        public:
            VectorSizeToVisibility(){}

virtual Platform::Object^ Convert(Platform::Object^ value, Windows::UI::Xaml::Interop::TypeName targetType,
            {
                auto v1 = safe_cast<IObservableVector<Answer^>^>(value);
                if (v1->Size == 0)
                    return Visibility::Visible;
                else
                    return Visibility::Collapsed;
            }

virtual Platform::Object^ ConvertBack(Platform::Object^ value, Windows::UI::Xaml::Interop::TypeName targetType,
            {
                throw ref new Platform::NotImplementedException();
            }

private:
            ~VectorSizeToVisibility(){}
        };

Where, instead of Answer^ you put in your own type.

If I had to speculate I would say not being able to bind to size is by design.  The issue with allowing binding to IObservableVector->Size is that the binding might have to be re-evaluated every time the Vector contents were modified.  So if you had a loop adding a million items to the vector you would see the binding evaluated a million times.

Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:50 PM