Forum for CAPI2 Event Logs? RRS feed

• Question

• What's the right forum for questions related to the CAPI2 event log? The windows event forum looks closed, and I don't see a CAPI-specific forum.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 7:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• What product/technology is this?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, April 9, 2012 11:13 PM
  • Here are some links...

On Microsoft Answers:

Troubleshooting Steps for CAPI2 Event ID 11 occurring against ...

<cite>answers.microsoft.com/.../685e65f6-72a7-4986-b02c-f17e8be78926</cite>

Jul 24, 2009 – Review the Event Log by nativating to Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\CAPI2\Operational. One of the log items indicated an ...

Also on Answers:

CAPI2 Event ID: 4107 - Microsoft Answers- Jun 17, 2011
    Windows 7 Ultimate getting tons of CAPI2- 4107 errors in ...- Jul 13, 2010
    Multiple CAPI2 Event Errors on 2 Vista Home Premium PCs from ...- Jul 11, 2010
    Microsoft-Windows CAPI2 failed extract of third-party root list ... - Jun 2, 2009

On Microsoft Forums:

Event ID 4107 CAPI2 Failed extract of third-party root list from ...

<cite>social.technet.microsoft.com/.../1e7d815a-4d31-44d1-8f1c-373a8d0...</cite>
    70 posts - 6 authors - Jul 12, 2010

i did turn on capi2 logging to try to make tracking this down easier (hence the info pasted below). i'll bet many have this but dont look in event ...

Also on Forums...

Hope this helps!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 2:37 AM
  • For help in using CAPI2, visit http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssecurity/threads

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:17 PM
  • None of the suggested actions solved my CAPI2 513 error.

I tried them all...

I have/had this error also (almost the same).

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.
    Details:
    AddCoreCsiFiles : RtlConvertNtFilePathToWin32Path() failed.
    System Error:
    0xC0000039 (unresolvable).

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64b (English version with Dutch language pack).
    My Windows is installed on C: and i moved USERS and PROGRAMDATA to a different drive (and nested within another folder).

I moved this directories USERS and PROGRAMDATA during a fresh install and with the sysprep procedure used in ........
    (Regular install to "give username and pc-name", do CTRL-SHOFT F3, continue with sysprep ..... move.xml.)

I tried everything as suggested in this topic (and other topics i found).
    Reset permissions, move out files (and back) etc etc.
    To no solution.

Then i looked a little deeper into the error-msg.
    My errormsg is "AddCoreCsiFiles : RtlConvertNtFilePathToWin32Path() failed." instead of "AddCoreCsiFiles : BeginFileEnumeration() failed.".

The "Rtl Convert NtFilePath To Win32Path" made me think it had to do with moving my PROGRAMDATA and USERS to another disk and inside other folders.
    So i assumed it could have to do with a too long directory name.

I decided to do a fresh install and install USERS and PROGRAMDATA to the root of that other disk.
    (Made a ghost-image of my working system first).

So i did a fresh reinstall using the same sysprep procedure:
    (Regular install to "give username and pc-name", do CTRL-SHOFT F3, continue with sysprep ..... move.xml.)

After the reboot i logged in as Administrator and made sure all drives (6) had the letters assigned i wanted.
    Checked if USERS and PROGRAMDATA were created on the other disk (in the root dir).
    And all looked fine.
    Then i created JUNCTIONS to point c:\USERS and C:\PROGRAMDATA to the new disk and rebooted.
    System came up fine.

I checked VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS and SYSTEM WRITERS showed up again.
    So it was not a problem that these USERS and PROGRAMDATA where on a different disk.
    Then i assumed it had somehow to do with an update (i had not done any update at this point).
    I would follow all steps from now.

I started with installing all hardware drivers.
    No problem at all and SYSTEM WRITER still showed up.

Then i decided to first install the Dutch language pack because i am Dutch.
    After install i checked VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS and to my surprise the SYSTEM WRITER was gone and the wellknown CAPI2 513 error showed up in the eventlog again:

Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.
    Details:
    System Error:

Would this already be the problem?
    So i did a systemrestore and went back to the point this language pack was not installed.
    And yes.. SYSTEM WRITER was available again and the error gone!

I reinstalled the Dutch language pack and SYSTEM WRITER was gone again and the error showed up again.
    This time i followed VSSADMIN LIST OUTPUT during install of the Dutch language pack
    and somewhere between 80% and 90% installation of teh Dutch language pack the SYSTEM WRITER was gone again
    and the error showed up again.

To be sure i deinstalled the Dutch lp again and checked.
    Yes, SYSTEM WRITER was available again.
    Then i installed Windows 7 SP 1 and checked again.
    SYSTEM WRITER was still available and no more CAPI2 513 errors.
    System was working fine.

Then i installed the rest of all updates (per 09 nov 2013).
    All updates installed perfectly fine.
    SYSTEM WRITER was still available and no CAPI2 513 errors at all.
    System was working fine.

I installed the Dutch language pack and SYSTEM WRITER was gone again and the CAPI2 513 error showed up again.
    I removed the Dutch lp and SYSTEM WRITER was available again and no more CAPI2 513 errors.

So it was clear that installing the Dutch language pack (maybe all language packs) on an English Windows 7 version, with PROGRAMDATA and USERS moved to a different disk (i am not sure about that because i didnt test that), caused the deleting of SYSTEM WRITER.

If so.. there was probably no need to to do a fresh install and had it been enough to remove the Dutch language pack from my system.

So i restored my Ghost image again.
    Created a restore point and then removed the Dutch language pack.
    After the reboot the system came up and i checked again.
    And yes, the SYSTEM WRITER was available again and no more "CAPI2 513" error.

So.. installing a (or only the Dutch) language pack causes the following error and a missing SYSTEM WRITER:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Details:
    System Error:

(AddCoreCsiFiles : BeginFileEnumeration() failed.)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope Microsoft can address this in a future update.

Monday, November 11, 2013 11:18 AM