On an existing SQL 2008R2 clustered setup that uses SAN storage, is there a way to convert a few relatively "static" DBs to use mirroring instead on a DAS (to save SAN costs)? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing SQL 2008R2 clustered setup that uses SAN storage.

Challenge is that large DBs are mainly Sharepoint Segments and these DBs grow far quicker than provisioned - hence we are exploring cheaper storage options to move the following away from precious SAN. 

- static Sharepoint DB segments (we have multiple Sharepoint DB segments of 100GB each in our farm, storing docs in chronological order. Usually the older docs are required in the App, so no archiving, however they are less likely to be accessed)

- tempdb (or other local DBs)

I have read NAS can be unstable and unsupported for hosting SQL files. Can DAS be considered an option to coexist with other DBs that are on SAN? (ie: moving DB files from SAN to DAS, setup mirroring to replicate DB on inactive clustered node)

PS: my sql version is SQL2008R2, and I do not have SQL2012.

Any other alternative storage suggestions that can tackle this challenge considering s/w version and costs?

• Edited by rakmo Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:36 PM fix typo
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:32 PM

Answers

• I'm afraid your options are limited here.

SQL 2008R2 clusters need to have shared storage, resources presented into the cluster need to be visible to both nodes....in other words you can't use local storage for the database engine. 

If you want to use a mirror with DAS you should probably start with a newly built server and migrate your current infrastructure onto this. Alternatively you could put some of your databases on a new instance and leave some behind on the cluster but SQL Server licensing costs are going to be restrictive in that case.

Obviously there are more options for SQL Server 2012, but I guess you know that given the fact that you pointed out 2012 isn't available to you :)

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:46 PM
  • Does your SAN support tiered storage? Do you have any enclosure space left?

It feels like the perfect use case for throwing in a bunch of high capacity 7.2k disks. That way you're not playing around with getting (more) third party products to talk to your apps.

Obviously cost would be a problem if you have to get a new enclosure, but you could spec out the solution for a few years to make it more appealing to the business. 

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:51 AM

All replies

• http://www.etegro.com/manuals/shared-das

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff182337(v=ws.10).aspx

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 6:40 PM

SQL 2008R2 clusters need to have shared storage, resources presented into the cluster need to be visible to both nodes....in other words you can't use local storage for the database engine. 

If you want to use a mirror with DAS you should probably start with a newly built server and migrate your current infrastructure onto this. Alternatively you could put some of your databases on a new instance and leave some behind on the cluster but SQL Server licensing costs are going to be restrictive in that case.

Obviously there are more options for SQL Server 2012, but I guess you know that given the fact that you pointed out 2012 isn't available to you :)

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:46 PM

Thanks. In parts, this storage challenge is not restricted to DAS...our objective is to

• Allow the Sharepoint Documents segments to keep growing (we create a new segment once the existing one reaches 100GB)
    • While finding a meaningful way of "archiving" older more static segments into slower, cheaper storage (to ensure high performance SAN is reserved for recent Sharepoint segments and other DBs)
    • And still allow the retrieval of these legacy Sharepoint files from our application (albeit at a slightly poorer performance).

We have tried using a CommVault solution which archives Sharepoint Docs using NAS, though we had problems integrating fully with our Apps and with retrieval performances.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:06 AM
  • Does your SAN support tiered storage? Do you have any enclosure space left?

It feels like the perfect use case for throwing in a bunch of high capacity 7.2k disks. That way you're not playing around with getting (more) third party products to talk to your apps.

Obviously cost would be a problem if you have to get a new enclosure, but you could spec out the solution for a few years to make it more appealing to the business. 

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:51 AM