Metro Style App communication with a local Desktop service

Question

• Hello, 

I can not find a clear answer about my question. I know that localhost (127.0.0.1) can not be used in metro application but you can still continue to use the actual IP address of that machine.

Well this is the scenario that i have, i am not sure if it is ok for the actual windows store app certification.

So we have made a GUI in the Merto style app that would connect to the local machines threw tcp/ip port 5001 that is running a Service that has its own database (SQL Express). It will use an API to perform the communication in a DLL. The issue i have is packaging the application for the Windows Store. There is a 2GB limit and it states everything must be signed but this is how i am planing to deploy it.

The Metro Style Application will be packaged with a Setup.exe (Installshield). On initial launch of the Metro Style application it will see that no configuration is found so it would ask the user if they want to start setup.exe (signed by us) it will launch the setup.exe in desktop mode, once you complete the installation it will go back into the Metro Application and then you can use it to connect to the Service running on the local machine.

Is this allowed? Or what can i do about it? (Will Microsoft reject my submission?)

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:39 PM

Answers

• This would not be allowed. Your app needs to be stand-alone and cannot depend on an external app or service.

The app cannot contain an installer for another app: while you could theoretically include it as data, the setup app wouldn't rely on unavailable API, there is no way to launch the setup app and the app, wouldn't have sufficient privileges to install it.

--Rob

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:24 AM
    Owner
  • Hi, I'm the PM for the Windows Runtime sockets.  Connecting to a desktop program on the same machine is blocked in Runtime regardless of the IP address used to connect. 

To make life easier for developers, it is allowed when you run from the debugger; however, your customers will not be able to use the same trick.

Network Developer Experience Team (Microsoft)

Saturday, September 01, 2012 12:55 AM

All replies

• This would not be allowed. Your app needs to be stand-alone and cannot depend on an external app or service.

The app cannot contain an installer for another app: while you could theoretically include it as data, the setup app wouldn't rely on unavailable API, there is no way to launch the setup app and the app, wouldn't have sufficient privileges to install it.

--Rob

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:24 AM
    Owner
  • Hi, I'm the PM for the Windows Runtime sockets.  Connecting to a desktop program on the same machine is blocked in Runtime regardless of the IP address used to connect. 

To make life easier for developers, it is allowed when you run from the debugger; however, your customers will not be able to use the same trick.

Network Developer Experience Team (Microsoft)

Saturday, September 01, 2012 12:55 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any way to unblock this?!

Also for us its very important that the metro app is able to connect to a desktop hostet windows or wcf service... :/

We have to following scenario:

When internet is available we connect to a azure hostet wcf service. Nevertheless, in many scenarios we have no online availablility. For this case we want to connect to a desktop hostet service temporarly to perform our operations..

Thomas

• Edited by tom54321 Sunday, September 02, 2012 9:29 AM
    Sunday, September 02, 2012 9:27 AM