Multi-Language Web Site using app_GlobalResource RRS feed

• Question

• User-1900702984 posted

I have downloaded and reviewed this tutorial http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-40.aspx several times.  It seems simple enough :) however the app_GlobalResource file is not working... so here it is.

I downloaded the sample project c# version, the website run nicely except for the global part.  When I change the language in IE8 it doesn't change on the page.  What is missing, is there something in IE 8 that needs to be turned on or off?  I have Win7x64, VS08, IIS running asp 2.0 and IE8.

When I am inside VS08 and use the expressions property the app_GlobalResource link is there (the default) but doesn't switch between the languages.. I am stumped!!

Can anyone please help me solve this problem? 

thanks in advance for your help :?

Friday, January 22, 2010 4:05 PM

Answers

• User-1900702984 posted

LOL.. like i said.. I am new at the whole language thing.. but I found my problem..

can we say "dah"... ;)

The example works just fine.. I just didn't realize that the code behind was overriding the IE language settings.. so I added this to my master page settings..

Culture="auto" UICulture="auto"

and everything is working as it should in my test app.. now time to implement it in my project..

again thanks for helping!!!! or trying at least :) 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:02 AM

All replies

• User-126244515 posted

I just downloaded the sample code and ran it; it works just fine. Now, I didn't convert it, but kept it in .NET 2.0. Did you convert it, or make any other changes to the code or configuration?

---EDIT---

I just converted it to .NET 3.5 and it still works fine here, on Windows Server 2008 and with IE 8.

Saturday, January 23, 2010 1:53 AM
  • User-1900702984 posted

(bugger).. I tried both ways.. and no neither run.. and no I didn't change anycode.. i even tried my own project and it still doesn't work..  i am wondering if it has anything to do with my IE options.. can you email your security setting.. Tools -> options -> security -> custom level.. maybe there is something??

thanks for checking this out for me.. i appreciate it!! very much!!

Monday, January 25, 2010 8:29 AM
  • User-126244515 posted

I sincerely doubt that would have any bearing on your issue, changing security settings in IE. Have you tried with a different browser? Is IE "restrained" by network policies?

Monday, January 25, 2010 8:42 AM
  • User-1900702984 posted

LOL.. like i said.. I am new at the whole language thing.. but I found my problem..

can we say "dah"... ;)

The example works just fine.. I just didn't realize that the code behind was overriding the IE language settings.. so I added this to my master page settings..

Culture="auto" UICulture="auto"

and everything is working as it should in my test app.. now time to implement it in my project..

again thanks for helping!!!! or trying at least :) 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, January 25, 2010 9:02 AM
  • User-1900702984 posted

FYI -

master pages do not have the culture properties.. you have to add this to the web.config inside the system.web

<system.web>
        <profile>
          <properties>
            <add
              name="UserCulture"
              defaultValue="auto" />
            <add
              name="UserUICulture"
              defaultValue="auto" />
          </properties>
        </profile>
    <system.web>

Monday, January 25, 2010 11:15 AM
  • User-1900702984 posted

More info for those who need it :)

Getting the language setting out of IE

Array 0 is the top of the list in the language setting box.. userlanguages stores all languages added to IE

HttpContext.Current.Request.UserLanguages[0];

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:19 AM