Defending from rating spoiling. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello together,

how can we defend us from subject? I see what someone has rated my app with one star, all other ratings are only 5 stars, it will be ok if someone will rate it with 4 or even 3 stars, nobody is perfect and I just can't appease everyone... So I'm absolutely sure what someone from publisher has give the app 1 star rating to get with his app higher in the app-list sorted by the Rating. So, how can I protect me from such as**les?

In other markets there is such things like "reason for a bad rating" where user which gives bad rating should select explanation for such rating. And publisher can react on this rating, and if it doesn't appears to be true or evaluable, publisher can disprove this rating and it will be removed by the market moderators.

But in Windows 8 Store we just can't do anything... So, just every Publisher who will want to get higher in rating list will just give 1 star rating for all other apps in the same category and even don't need to give any reason as an description for such rating... 

It is very sad what such kind of things was just not thought over in the Windows 8 Store design.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:21 AM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue, but sadly, I don't think there's much recourse. Over the past month I had an excruciatingly slow trickle of 5 star ratings. Then in one day I had three 1 star ratings roll in at once. I can understand a low rating here and there, because you really can't please everyone, but when it's obviously a rating spoiler situation it can be pretty frustrating. I contacted Microsoft and asked if they could look into it, to see if the users with the low ratings were doing anything obviously nefarious, but really, I guess we just have to figure on some people being petty and hope the quality of our products shines through.

My response to it has been to start offering a free trial and expand my markets in the hopes that the majority of people look past the anonymous ratings. I know for my part, I'm no longer going to treat the star rating as an indication of product quality, but instead will look for written reviews.

Author of Alpaca Children's Story Books App for Windows 8

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:39 PM
  • See my thread on this one: 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsstore/thread/d9beab10-abdb-4171-9756-7d056da89a4d

I have a roughly guess on who did similar things to our app when it was released. I have been following up with Microsoft support on this until yesterday. Not only that, I collected a bunch of evidences to support my guess because the guy who did this have been very likely pumping his own app with 5 stars at the same time. They took my evidences so I will wait to see how their investigation goes.

• Edited by YanFlex12 Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:19 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:19 PM
  • See my thread on this one: 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsstore/thread/d9beab10-abdb-4171-9756-7d056da89a4d

I have a roughly guess on who did similar things to our app when it was released. I have been following up with Microsoft support on this until yesterday. Not only that, I collected a bunch of evidences to support my guess because the guy who did this have been very likely pumping his own app with 5 stars at the same time. They took my evidences so I will wait to see how their investigation goes.

Keep us up to date, if you get something from Microsoft team
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:32 AM