Connecting to Azure via SSMS 2014 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I've been try to connect to a new database I created in Azure from SSMS without success, getting this error: 

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

The connection box looks like this. 

Where the server name is the Settings|Properties|SERVER NAME in Azure.  

I used "what is my IP address" to find out what my public IP is, i.e. the firewall and added that IP as 

an allowed range.  I have asked the network team to provide me with a full range of IPs, however I haven't got it yet. 

The user (my email address) is configured as an owner in the server settings.  

I've tried the server name with/without the port (1433).  

I did follow a step by step tutorial from MS, however it was out of date and as nothing really matched up with 

what I was seeing on the screen I gave up on it. 

Anyone care to point out the blindingly obvious :-) 

Thanks 

Monday, August 17, 2015 3:11 PM

Answers

• I would continue to allow access to other Azure services.

What I meant was to create a new firewall rule like the one below.I do not recommend leaving this rule in place for a long period of time, but just long enough to try logging into the database in order to see if the firewall rule is the cause of your connectivity problems.

Monday, August 17, 2015 4:04 PM

All replies

• Can you try opening your server to all IP addresses and then try to connect? If that works then you will know that the issue lies with the firewall rules.

Also, could you please share the link to the tutorial that you used so that we can fix it?

Thanks,

Casey Karst

Monday, August 17, 2015 3:38 PM
  • Can you try opening your server to all IP addresses and then try to connect? If that works then you will know that the issue lies with the firewall rules.

Also, could you please share the link to the tutorial that you used so that we can fix it?

Hi, 

Thanks for the response.  

The tutorial I was following is here 

When you say opening up your server to all IP addresses, do you mean remove the IP range from inside Azure? 

e.g. 

Thanks 

Monday, August 17, 2015 3:53 PM
  • I would continue to allow access to other Azure services.

What I meant was to create a new firewall rule like the one below.I do not recommend leaving this rule in place for a long period of time, but just long enough to try logging into the database in order to see if the firewall rule is the cause of your connectivity problems.

Monday, August 17, 2015 4:04 PM