XNA on Windows XP ?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi people.

This is my first post in MS forums, so please, don't make me alone in this thread :)

I found on Wikipedia that "The XNA Framework is based on the .NET Framework 2.0. It will also include a version of the Common Language Runtime, which is optimized for gaming requirements. The runtime will be available for both Windows XP, Windows Vista and the Xbox 360."

Does it mean, and it is true, that some version of XNA will be made for Windows XP ?? I know that DX10 is Vista only, but I was hoping that some version of XNA, (I assume XNA will have DX9 support too?) would be running on Windows XP too, so my XNA C# game could have larger possible audience.

Heeeeeeelp, what is the truth and what can I rely on ??

Thanks, have a nice day :)

Sunday, June 4, 2006 12:45 PM

Answers

• Welcome to the forums! We haven’t made an official announcement regarding what Windows platforms will be supported for the XNA Framework. That said, the GDC demo’s that were shown were in fact running on Windows XP SP2. Managed DirectX 2 (MDX2) which is being incorporated into the framework is a technology based on DX9 therefore also compatible in Windows XP. Again all that said, until an official announcement is made we can’t commit to anything for certain.

I know it’s not the perfect answer you’re looking for but I hope it helps a bit! 

Sunday, June 4, 2006 6:17 PM

All replies

• Welcome to the forums! We haven’t made an official announcement regarding what Windows platforms will be supported for the XNA Framework. That said, the GDC demo’s that were shown were in fact running on Windows XP SP2. Managed DirectX 2 (MDX2) which is being incorporated into the framework is a technology based on DX9 therefore also compatible in Windows XP. Again all that said, until an official announcement is made we can’t commit to anything for certain.

I know it’s not the perfect answer you’re looking for but I hope it helps a bit! 

Sunday, June 4, 2006 6:17 PM
  • Thanks for welcome.

Uauw, you got smileys   . Can I invite here all my friend to chat ?

Ok. Let's be serious.

One, maybe last question. I was reading somewhere, maybe I'm wrong, that MS will have some "summer action" where will be maybe some (partial) announcement.

My question is, when can I assume will be any next announcement regarding XNA? especially XNA vs WinXP. You know, I will sleep  until then and look forward to that moment.   You must know at least quarter, if not month. (Hmm, I hope my last sentence didn't sound like a threat , because my english isn't very good , I like using my english translator  and I borrowed one word from your post )

oke. bye. thanks and so on.

Sunday, June 4, 2006 9:03 PM
  • Yep we're looking to talk more about XNA later this summer.
    Thursday, June 8, 2006 1:09 AM