Reading Pane Settings storage location RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I work in the field of Computer Forensics and I'm attempting to locate where outlook saves the settings for the Reading pane within outlook.  I've tried to look through numerious googles, and searches of the forum I've come up empty handed.  I just need to know what gets modified when a user selects "mark items as read when in Reading pane for xx seconds."  Is it a registry entry?  Is it saved to ntuser.dat? 

Any and all help would be great as this has stumped me and I'm in a time crunch.

JDMuir

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:33 PM

All replies

• HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences\PreviewMarkMessage and PreviewWaitSeconds for the number of seconds. Both are DWORDS. If the properties have never been set the registry entries may not exist.

Where you see "12.0" that's for Outlook 2007. You would adjust that for the Outlook version.

As with many Outlook settings stored in the registry, they are read on startup only. After that changes are written out to the registry but Outlook uses an in-memory cache of settings. So changes you might make to the registry settings after startup won't be used.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007.
    Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options.
    http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm

"jdmuir" <=?utf-8?B?amRtdWly?=> wrote in message news:3e8b98f7-5246-46ca-b773-495e5fbe25ca...

Hello Everyone,

I work in the field of Computer Forensics and I'm attempting to locate where outlook saves the settings for the Reading pane within outlook.  I've tried to look through numerious googles, and searches of the forum I've come up empty handed.  I just need to know what gets modified when a user selects "mark items as read when in Reading pane for xx seconds."  Is it a registry entry?  Is it saved to ntuser.dat? 

Any and all help would be great as this has stumped me and I'm in a time crunch.

JDMuir

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:13 PM
  • Ken,

Thank you very much for your reply that is actually what I found during my testing.  I ended up being proactive in regards to my question rather than relying on the community to help me out, and it worked out well.  Using Regmon I was able to capture the registry changes to the keys you mentioned.  And your right that if the setting has never been enabled PreviewWaitSeconds won’t exist, I found that out during my testing as well.  I must say testing rather than relying on a solution was a learning experience.  But now I have an all new headache.

In Outlook 2000 (and/or 2007), is there a registry key, or some entry somewhere that would indicate if a user has the reading pane on or off?  I know that in office “12” aka 2007, that an XML sheet is used to help render the interface, and I’ve seen elsewhere that programmers use <previewpane>1</previewpane> to turn the Reading/Preview pane.  But in the examination of the XML file associated with my profile I’m not seeing anything indicating the profile/reading pane status in the XML file.  I’ve also used regmon and processmon in attempts to see the modification to a registry entry or a change to a file.  (I’m filtering for OUTLOOK.EXE and EXPLORER.EXE as well as unfiltered.)  I cannot seeing any changes or any modifications to [u]anything[/u].  

Thanks,

JDMuir

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:26 PM
  • That's real obscure and not documented, but this series of posts might be helpful: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1850553.php

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]

"jdmuir" <=?utf-8?B?amRtdWly?=> wrote in message news:20cde6b0-3ad5-480f-bbe6-1b75bfc8484e...

Ken,

Thank you very much for your reply that is actually what I found during my testing.  I ended up being proactive in regards to my question rather than relying on the community to help me out, and it worked out well.  Using Regmon I was able to capture the registry changes to the keys you mentioned.  And your right that if the setting has never been enabled PreviewWaitSeconds won’t exist, I found that out during my testing as well.  I must say testing rather than relying on a solution was a learning experience.  But now I have an all new headache.

In Outlook 2000 (and/or 2007), is there a registry key, or some entry somewhere that would indicate if a user has the reading pane on or off?  I know that in office “12” aka 2007, that an XML sheet is used to help render the interface, and I’ve seen elsewhere that programmers use <previewpane>1</previewpane> to turn the Reading/Preview pane.  But in the examination of the XML file associated with my profile I’m not seeing anything indicating the profile/reading pane status in the XML file.  I’ve also used regmon and processmon in attempts to see the modification to a registry entry or a change to a file.  (I’m filtering for OUTLOOK.EXE and EXPLORER.EXE as well as unfiltered.)  I cannot seeing any changes or any modifications to [u]anything[/u].  

Thanks,

JDMuir

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 1:48 PM
  • That's real obscure and not documented, but this series of posts might be helpful: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1850553.php

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP - Outlook]

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Hey Ken, I actually found those registry keys yesterday and worked with them extensively.  The most accurate post in the thread referenced the key 0a0d020000000000c000000000000046 and I was able to see modifications to the subkey 01020402.  The only thing that is not correct is the hex values, at least on my system.  I’ll update this thread with the information that I found when testing in that area.

Force Reading Pane to Right:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook #5\0a0d020000000000c000000000000046]
    “01020402” 00,00,00,00,56,01,00,00,FF,FF,FF,FF,8A,02,F4,01,50,00,00,00

Force Reading Pane to Bottom:

“01020402” 01,00,00,00,56,01,00,00,FF,FF,FF,FF,8A,02,F4,01,50,00,00,00

Force Reading Pane to Off:

This value is dependent upon the way the reading pane was configured prior to turning it off.  The hex value of [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook #5\0a0d020000000000c000000000000046] “01020402” will be identical to the hex value for the setting prior to turning the reading pane to off. 

Force Reading Pane from Right to Off:

“01020402” 00,00,00,00,56,01,00,00,FF,FF,FF,FF,8A,02,F4,01,50,00,00,00

Force Reading Pane from Bottom to Off:

“01020402” 01,00,00,00,56,01,00,00,FF,FF,FF,FF,8A,02,F4,01,50,00,00,00

Sue’s notes that she had indicated that there were changes to the 1<sup>st</sup>, 5<sup>th</sup>, 6<sup>th</sup>, 9<sup>th</sup>, & 10<sup>th</sup> Hexadecimal pairs.  In my testing on Office 12 and Windows Registry Editor Version 5.1, I’m only seeing a change to the 1<sup>st</sup> Hexadecimal pair.  I am using The problem is that setting the reading pane to off should modify a registry entry, xml style sheet somewhere, or some sort of change (so you’d think). As noted by Ken, tons of Google searches, multiple forums, and my own personal testing; it is clearly apparent that the registry entry or modification associated with the reading pane being “off” is known, undocumented and not very easy to track down.  I wish that Microsoft would chime in here and identify the mysterious entry that no one can find.

• Proposed as answer by dki_ Monday, February 14, 2011 10:15 AM
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 4:07 PM
  • I know this is an old post but I'm currently working on a project to Upgrade Office 2007 to Office 2010 and this was the first hit on Google so I would say that It looks like the correct keys (after updates and all) are:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\preferences]
    "PreviewDontMarkUntilChange"=dword:00000000
    "PreviewMarkMessage"=dword:00000000

1=ON

0=OFF

and as Ken said earlier:

"As with many Outlook settings stored in the registry, they are read on startup only. After that changes are written out to the registry but Outlook uses an in-memory cache of settings. So changes you might make to the registry settings after startup won't be used."

So you need to at least log out and in to get the last results from the registry and see how they work.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:25 AM
  • FWIW, with Outlook 2010 and later you can read the current state of the preview pane and turn it on and off.

From the Outlook VBA project Object Browser help for Explorer.IsPaneVisible:

Sub HidePreviewPane()
        Dim myOlExp As Outlook.Explorer
        Set myOlExp = Application.ActiveExplorer
        If myOlExp.IsPaneVisible(olPreview) = False Then
            myOlExp.ShowPane olPreview, True
        End If
        Set myOlExp = Nothing
    End Sub

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 8:56 PM
  • FWIW, with Outlook 2010 and later you can read the current state of the preview pane and turn it on and off.

From the Outlook VBA project Object Browser help for Explorer.IsPaneVisible:

Sub HidePreviewPane()
        Dim myOlExp As Outlook.Explorer
        Set myOlExp = Application.ActiveExplorer
        If myOlExp.IsPaneVisible(olPreview) = False Then
            myOlExp.ShowPane olPreview, True
        End If
        Set myOlExp = Nothing
    End Sub

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Hi Ken,

I have used the same C# code in shared addin for outlook 2010, IsPaneVisible  always returns false and next line of code do not make any changes in the view 

Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:36 PM
  • You should not post in old closed threads, start your own.

I just tested the code above and it works perfectly in Outlook 2010. I tested both ways, turning on and off the preview pane. The results of reading the pane status were correct.

I don't know what code you used, but try the VBA code above and see if it works, If it does it's your C# code that's at fault.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:43 PM
  • You should not post in old closed threads, start your own.

I just tested the code above and it works perfectly in Outlook 2010. I tested both ways, turning on and off the preview pane. The results of reading the pane status were correct.

I don't know what code you used, but try the VBA code above and see if it works, If it does it's your C# code that's at fault.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

I was using the C# code in XP system with Outlook 2010 where it is working fine but does nothing in win7 system. :(
    Friday, February 28, 2014 5:43 AM
  • Bivek,

Please don't use old forum threads. I'd recommend creating a new forum threads for separate questions.

Friday, February 28, 2014 12:35 PM
  • I tested the code on a Win7 machine and it worked perfectly.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Friday, February 28, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Office 2016 registry path location is 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles\Outlook\0a0d020000000000c000000000000046]

“01020402”

• Edited by sartu55 Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:13 PM
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 8:12 PM
  • This is only for a profile named "Outlook".

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.5 is now available!

Thursday, January 25, 2018 9:02 PM