none
Web development in VS - is it possible to have remote and local sync

Question

• Hi folks!

I've been doing web dev the hard way for some time now (using Notepad++, sometimes Netbeans but it never caught on with me). Most of the sites I build are simple html/css/js/php. Web Essentials is pretty rock solid and I'm trying to decide if I should go the full mile and also get a PHP extension. So here's the question:

I have a website project that is connected directly to ftp. The local files VS downloads are stored in a temp directory buried in AppData. With Notepad++ I can set this directory, but in VS I can't find info to do so. I'd like to maintain a local copy, but deploy immediately on saving. This is so that I can have my local files tracked by a repository, but still just edit and save a file and have it immediately push to the ftp.

Is this possible? I see lots of information about deploying sites, but none where I can save directly to ftp and maintain a local copy. If I must use the "Copy Website" feature please tell me the best way to go about setting this up for an existing site (i.e. should I download the site to a local folder and then set up the VS project? Are there any caveats to watch out for?). 

Thanks everyone!

Tuesday, August 02, 2016 5:20 AM

All replies

• Hi NaplandGames

>>The local files VS downloads are stored in a temp directory buried in AppData.

Could you please share us how to download website from the ftp (through menu FILE->Open->WebSite and click FTP Site)?

If you want to download a website from FTP to local and realize synchronization between local and service. I think we could create a new empty website and use “Copy Web Site” feature, after some modifications we could republish our website to FTP. which could realize synchronization between remote and local.

Sincerely,

OSCARW

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 8:45 AM
  • Hi Oscar,

I'm not sure what you mean:

Could you please share us how to download website from the ftp (through menu FILE->Open->WebSite and click FTP Site)?

I set up the VS project like you describe (File -> Open -> Website -> FTP Site). 

It sounds like "Copy website" is the only way to do it. can you answer: When I do the copy website process does it copy all files or only those that have changed? Seems like it will be a lot of useless bandwidth to copy all of the files that haven't changed (media files). 

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, August 04, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Hi NaplandGames

>>When I do the copy website process does it copy all files or only those that have changed?

when we create a new empty web site, and copy website from FTP. We could copy one HtmlPage1 we want to edit. After coding then publish our website to FTP again, the original HtmlPage1 has been updated.

>>It sounds like "Copy website" is the only way to do it.

I think we could use Visual Studio Team Service to realize your purpose. when we create a website project and connect to Team Service. After coding we could synchronize our project to Team Service and publish to FTP. This could make sure synchronization between FTP and Team Service. When we want to re-edit our website, we could clone from Team Service and then synchronize to FTP and Team Service.

Some document about Team Service you could refer to the following MSND document:

https://www.visualstudio.com/docs/overview

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, August 05, 2016 7:14 AM
  • Thanks for the input. It's too convoluted of a process. With Notepad++ I can specify the local FTP directory, make edits to those files and they are immediately pushed to the server when saved. I can also use these local files to track changes via Git. Really the only thing I need from VS is to be able to specify the local directory that the FTP files are downloaded to. It's just not worth my time and effort to use VS for website development.
    Friday, August 05, 2016 6:13 PM
  • Hi SHANKARARUL

As far as I know, the feature of specifying a local directory that FTP files are downloaded to is not supported by VS so far.

If we want to realize synchronization between remote and local, I think the above scenarios could be considered. Although they are need to take some time for building development environment, which is convenient for a project with long-term maintenance.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Monday, August 08, 2016 9:11 AM