none
Does the maxReceivedMessageSize mean the file size? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm not sure what the maxReceivedMessageSize is referring to.  Does the maxReceivedMessageSize mean the file size?  Can some please explain?

Thanks!

Friday, March 20, 2015 5:07 PM

Answers

• It would help if you specified the full namespace and class or structure that exposes the property you're asking about.

From what I find on MSDN's documentation, there's a property called MaxReceivedMessageSize on 3 objects spanning 2 platforms.  There might be others I didn't find in my cursory search.

On the ones I did find, MaxReceivedMessageSize is pretty standard, and  refers to the maximum size of a protocol-based message the host is willing to receive.  Individual messages may be less than the specified maximum, or up to the specified maximum.  If you're receiving a file over the network, since network protocols limit the total packet size to 65,536 bytes, you'll get multiple packets before you get an entire file anyway (at least any file bigger than 65kb).

So unless you're looking at the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on an object I haven't found yet, then no, it doesn't have anything to do with the size of a file transferred over a network.

System.ServiceModel.BasicHttpBinding in .NET

System.ServiceModel.WSHttpBindingBase in .NET

System.ServiceModel.BasicHttpBinding in Silverlight

Content Removed

Saturday, March 21, 2015 4:44 AM