Can someone look at this please? MSDN Walk through Article on custom directive processor doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am following the walkthrough for creating a custom directive processor available in the following link on msdn

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb126542.aspx

However I am facing two issues here

1) I created a test project to test the custom directive as mentioned in the section: To create a text template to test the directive processor". eWhen I am copying the contents from the articel to TestDP.txt in y project and Save it I am getting the following Error

"Error 1 The type 'CustomDP.CustomDirectiveProcessor' of the directive processor named 'CustomDirectiveProcessor' does not derive from Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextTemplating.DirectiveProcessor. The transformation will not be run. C:\TempForDelete\Rnd\TemplateTest\TemplateTest\TestDP.txt 6 4 TemplateTest

2) I am not sure what exactly the point no 1 in "To test the directive processor" Section "In the second instance of Visual Studio, in Solution Explorer, right-click TestDP.txt, and then click Run Custom Tool" means? The second instance of Visual Studio is not there in any of the steps mentioned or if we open another instance of Visual Studio we will not have the TestDP.txt in that? Is this a typo mistake? Its very confusing.

Has anyone tried this walk through? I guess there is some problem somewhere.

Can someone from Microsoft look at this and respond please?

Thanks,

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:46 AM

Answers

• Hi radenb,

As this question doesn't seem to be involving GAX but just plain DSL Tools please post it to the VSX forum. The DSL Tools team is now part of Visual Studio extensibility and they hang around in the VSX forum helping people with T4 related issues.

thanks,
    -vga.
    Monday, March 3, 2008 4:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not from Microsoft but as far as I know the walktrhough is correct. Unfortunately I don't know why you are getting this error.

What they mean with the second instance of Visual Studio is the one you created the C# or VB.NET class library project in and added the TextDP.txt file to. This instance is the used for testing the directive processor you created in the other (first) instance of VS.NET.

Edward 

Saturday, March 1, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Thanks Edward.

I understand the second point. But I am still getting the first error though the custom directve is derived from the required base class

Have you tried the exercise? Were you able to suceed through the wakthrough?

Can someone help me understand the problem here?

Saturday, March 1, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Hi radenb,

As this question doesn't seem to be involving GAX but just plain DSL Tools please post it to the VSX forum. The DSL Tools team is now part of Visual Studio extensibility and they hang around in the VSX forum helping people with T4 related issues.

thanks,
    -vga.
    Monday, March 3, 2008 4:10 AM