none
Reader roles to Azure storage resources RRS feed

• Question

• If we provide Azure reader access to someone, would they be able to read data from storage accounts or for that matter read data from any storage resource in Azure?I saw that in the documentation, it just mentions this "Read resources of all types.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/role-based-access-control/built-in-roles#reader

but I would like to know specifically if they would be able to read the data inside a storage resource.I guess we should assume that they can't read the data inside of a storage account because it is not mentioned in the documentation

Thanks,.

Friday, June 7, 2019 1:43 AM

All replies

• The Reader role is an Azure Resource Manager role that permits users to view and read of all types resources, but not modify them. It does not provide read permissions to data in Azure Storage, but only to account management resources.

I would recommend you to refer on how to determine the scope.

If you use specifically Storage blob data reader role, then this role will grant you the read-only permission to blob storage resources. Hope this helps you!

Kindly, let us know if you need any further assistance on this.

Friday, June 7, 2019 2:51 AM
  • @msdnkuber Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Monday, June 10, 2019 10:20 AM