Turn windows feature on or off

Question

• is this feature supposed to work? i'm stuck with some preparing screen or downloading updates. 

is there a way to install .net framework 3.5?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:20 AM

Answers

• You can install it by Windows Update, and also of course turn Windows features on or of is still working, simply click on Start button, Control panel, More settings, Programs, Add or remove Windows features. 
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:40 PM

All replies

• You can install it by Windows Update, and also of course turn Windows features on or of is still working, simply click on Start button, Control panel, More settings, Programs, Add or remove Windows features. 
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:40 PM
  • It is not working for me, I am always getting an error with Reason: 0x800F081F

Any idea?

Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:55 PM
  • so they are supposed to work? i know how to add features but they don't seem to work, after i choose what feature to add the screen stuck with some preparing features screen or downloading updates(it did that for 6 hours over night :) ). i guess it's something with my OS install.i'll just re-install it.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:00 PM
  • It is not working for me, I am always getting an error with Reason: 0x800F081F

Any idea?

Check the event log for more detailed error message.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:08 PM
  • .NET 3.5 might fail because it is not supposed to be part of the Developer Preview as stated in https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/02/reflecting-on-our-first-conversations-part-2.aspx

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:12 PM
  • i don't want it to be part of the developer preview. i just want to install it by downloading the full dotnetfx35 setup. but after i run this installer, is asking me to allow that feature to be enabled and start over with same preparing feature screen :)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:15 PM
  • .NET 3.5 is shipped directly with Windows since Vista (or 7, not sure), so the downloaded dotnetfx35 setup should not work because it is targeted to older version of Windows. In the newer one, the right way is to use the feature screen. And because the feature is not part of the Developer Preview build, you have no way to turn it on and you need to wait for the beta.
    • Edited by MCCZ Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:20 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:20 PM
  • i think you're wrong. so i can't install winamp because is not part of the Developer Preview? it has nothing to do with that. and as a matter of fact 3.5 it is a feature to enable in the feature screen. i'm just unable to install any feature so it might be something wrong with the image i've downloaded. i'm doanloding it again and i'll try to see what's happening.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:25 PM
  • But, when you try to Install Windows Live Messenger, a Windows update window appears asking for .NET Framework 3.5, and you can use that window to install it directly from Internet.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:27 PM
  • nope...if i do that he's still trying to enable that feature from the feature enable screen.(don't ask me why :) )
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Winamp is not a part of the Windows; but .NET 3.5 is a part of Windows which is stripped off from this build, accoring to the official blog. However, .NET 4 and 4.5 should be there, as far as I understood.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Just found the fix, do not install win8 with other settings then en-us, looks like we again have problems because update tries to install in different languages.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:31 PM
  • no it's not a part of windows. they just didn't add it on the install disk. it's just an app. like VS 2011 developer preview. that's not a part of Windows and yet it's on the install disk.
  • nope...if i do that he's still trying to enable that feature from the feature enable screen.(don't ask me why :) )

So are you getting the error trying to install it from Microsoft download center or directly from Windows?
    Have you tried to install Messenger? :-)
  • Just found the fix, do not install win8 with other settings then en-us, looks like we again have problems because update tries to install in different languages.
    hmmmm...weird...i'll try it
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:32 PM

So are you getting the error trying to install it from Microsoft download center or directly from Windows?
    both. actually i'm not getting any error :) ( i guess i'll have to check the event log) is jsut freezing with that screen
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:33 PM

both. actually i'm not getting any error :) ( i guess i'll have to check the event log) is jsut freezing with that screen

Try installing Windows Live Messenger, i'm going to see if you can install Framework directly from Microsoft Update.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Perhaps not directly related to this, but when I installed the "old" Windows Essentials 2011, it enabled the .NET 3.5 feature as part of that installation, and this process worked.

FYI, I'm on x64

-PJC

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:35 PM
  • Perhaps not directly related to this, but when I installed the "old" Windows Essentials 2011, it enabled the .NET 3.5 feature as part of that installation, and this process worked.

FYI, I'm on x64

-PJC

That's what I am talking about, It worked for me in the same way, just trying to install Windows Live Essentials 2011 ask me for NET Framework installation.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:40 PM
  •   

Hello RazvanBucse,

Are you still having the issue with installing the .NET Framework 3.5?

Michael

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:04 PM
    Owner
  •   
    no...after I've installed the version without the dev tools i have no issue with that. 
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Thanks for the update!
    Michael
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:18 PM
    Owner
  • er, i am still having problems. same error 0x800F081F. i have 32 bit running on 64 bit machine, installed on separate partition from windows 7.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Hey Eugene Keroro Lee,

Take a look at the answer provided in the thread linked below to see if the command that is provided allows you to install .Net Framework 3.5:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/670dd964-11cf-4006-96ee-1bf2e16e9979

Note: You will need to have your Windows Developer Preview installation media or the .ISO of Windows Developer Preview handy to follow the steps provided in the link above.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:33 PM