SAN Storage and File Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Question on SAN.

How does partitioning and File groups benefit when we are using SAN for data storage. Here are few of my assumptions

1. Eventhough we use SAN, a sing RAID config in SAN can be mapped to a single logical drive and similarly we map another RAID to another logical drive

2. Once the logical drives are mapped we can put each file group mapped to differnet logical drives

3. Allocate a partition of (of a table) to two different file groups that point to two different logical drive

this we we get parallel options by implmenting SAN.

Please clarify (Does data partitions and file groups) makes sense in SAN based implementation

Also, it would be helpful if anybody can mention links around any documents on EMC SAN architecture and concepts.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:50 PM

Answers

• Partitioning and Filegrouping makes perfect sense in a SAN based architecture, at least as much as it would if you weren't using a SAN and using local storage.  A lot more goes into the decision to do partitioning and how you split files/filegroups up like processor cores, memory, database size, etc... Personally, I wouldn't recommend a EMC SAN for SQL use, based on personal as well as others experiences with performance.  If you already have the SAN, then it is what it is, but if you are purchasing new, then make sure that you shop the playing field and get benchmarks for the specific configuration that you are looking to implement.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:57 PM

All replies

• Partitioning and Filegrouping makes perfect sense in a SAN based architecture, at least as much as it would if you weren't using a SAN and using local storage.  A lot more goes into the decision to do partitioning and how you split files/filegroups up like processor cores, memory, database size, etc... Personally, I wouldn't recommend a EMC SAN for SQL use, based on personal as well as others experiences with performance.  If you already have the SAN, then it is what it is, but if you are purchasing new, then make sure that you shop the playing field and get benchmarks for the specific configuration that you are looking to implement.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:57 PM
  • My above response sparked some controversy and questions on the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4209548&SiteID=1

Please read this thread as well, and do not discredit EMC based on my comment above.  See the link I provide in this post for further information.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:41 PM
  • This isn't meant as a thread jack, but what do you think of 3PAR?  We're a heavy EMC shop, but we're looking for most cost effective solution these days...
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 10:46 PM