none
VS 2015 and Platform Toolset Windows 7.1 SDK. Will not compile. MSB6006: "CL.exe" exited with code -1073741515

Question

• I apologize but I am very confused.

I have installed VS 2015.

I have the Windows 7.1 SDK installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows

I have a native C++ project. No .NET, MFC or anything else. I want to compile it against the Windows 7.1 SDK so I set the Platform Toolset to Windows 7.1 SDK. I am getting the following error when I try and compile a C++ file:

1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Platforms\x64\Microsoft.Cpp.x64.Targets(146,5): error MSB6006: "CL.exe" exited with code -1073741515.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks.

Saturday, January 2, 2016 7:45 PM

Answers

• Hi RSullivan59,

I did a research for the error message you faced.

And I found that some members face the same error and fixed by editing the files under property manager.

May be you could try it first.

Open up Property Manager you can find it either under View->Property Manager (it is near the bottom) or View->Other Windows->Property Manager.

You will need a VC project loaded. In Property Manager, under <Project Name>->Debug | x64 look for Microsoft.Cpp.x64.User.

Configuration Properties->VC++ Directories and replace set each of the Paths to the Following

Executable Directories to $(ExectablePath)
    Include Directories to $(IncludePath)
    Reference Directories to $(ReferencePath)
    Library Directories to $(LibraryPath)
    Source Directories to $(SourcePath)
    Exclude Directories to $(ExcludePath)

I also found a similar case for your reference:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/ca399aec-1b5e-41a3-9cd5-76a74420f940/error-msb6006-clexe-exited-with-code-128?forum=vcgeneral

If still no help. May be you could repair your Visual Studio then try it again.

Or you could install Visual Studio 2015 update1 then try it again.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Monday, January 4, 2016 6:41 AM