none
multiple rows of images RRS feed

• Question

• Just beginning using Expressions.  Had been using Kompozer.  I'm creating a new page for an existing web site and most of the page (except the banner at the top) isn't a version of any other page....

Specifically...

I'm attempting to create a page with rows of images - but where each row might have different numbers of images.

I've got one row with multiple cells - one cell for one image with some text.

But, when I create a new row below that row, the cells seem to be linked to the cells in the row above - as if I had create columns - and I want each row to have different numbers of cells with different widths.

Can someone help?  Seems simple...but who knows.

Friday, October 10, 2014 5:46 PM

Answers

• Kathy,

As it turns out, I stumbled on a function in Expression that seemed to allow me to have any number of cells in a row of a table.  So I tried it and it works.  I now have rows with 2, 3 and 4 images.

Michael
    • Marked as answer by Newmarket2 Monday, October 13, 2014 9:56 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 3:45 PM

All replies

• Point us to the site, as it says in the Forum FAQ. We have no idea how you created the rows and cells (separate divs? tables?). We need to see it. You didn't give us enough information. Post a link to the site.

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Friday, October 10, 2014 8:47 PM
  • If you are using a table, well, yes, the new row in the same table will have the same number of cells as the row above. That's how HTML tables work.

If you want lines of images, each with a different number of images, you'd need (if you are using tables for this) to have a different table, not just a different row.  (While you could span cells to get a different number of cells in one row, that would tie the width of the spanned cell to the combined widths of the columns spanned, so is not an option here.)

Or, a better solution than the added markup bloat of multiple tables, use CSS to float the images side by side and skip tables altogether.

Friday, October 10, 2014 10:54 PM
  • Kathy,

As it turns out, I stumbled on a function in Expression that seemed to allow me to have any number of cells in a row of a table.  So I tried it and it works.  I now have rows with 2, 3 and 4 images.

Michael
    • Marked as answer by Newmarket2 Monday, October 13, 2014 9:56 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Really? What function is that, so that if this question arises again we ill know where to point the questioner?

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, October 13, 2014 9:50 PM
  • I'm going from memory here, but if you are unable to reproduce it, I'll go back and do it myself and update the steps...

Starting with a table with n rows (this doesn't matter) and 3 columns

First, SELECT the ROW.  Then, MODIFY >  MERGE.  Then, again in MODIFY >  SPLIT CELLS.  The first time I tried it, I split the row into 2 cells when the rest of the table had 3. 

• Edited by Newmarket2 Monday, October 13, 2014 9:56 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 9:55 PM
  • As I said, that implies you want your merged or split cells to be tied to the width of the other cells - e.g.: merging 2 cells means the width of that cell will equal the total width of two cells above and/or below it.

As long as your design meets that constraint, you can use one table.  Otherwise (and with bloated markup) more than one table, or, if you want the width of the images to determine placement along a row, not the width of images above or below, just float the images and skip the multiple tables.

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:13 AM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 4:12 AM