Use BING Maps APIs In Lightswitch 2013 / 2105 Silverlight App RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please could someone assist me or point me in the right direction with how to access the BING Maps APIs (especially REST and Imaging) in a c# Lightswitch Desktop application.  All the information I have found assumes the use of XAML pages to display the map which as far as I know are not a part of Lighswitch apps.  I have the silverlight BING dlls loaded but can't figure out how to even display a map yet alone do anything else.  I am trying to include directions based on data in an already established desktop applicaiton made with Lightswitch in Visual Studio 2013 and then use the data as well as display it on a map screen within the application.  Once I can get the basics of integrating it with my applicaiton I'm happy with how to use the APIs.

Regards,

Ed

Thursday, June 25, 2015 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Ed,

you can use the lightswitch.bing-maps control, if you want to use the Bing Maps control in a production environment you have to acquire your own API key. You can get the code on the Bing Maps SDK webpage. To implement a custom collection control that shows a map, see: Visualizing List Data using a Map Control 

With regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 29, 2015 6:00 AM
  • Hi Angie,

Thanks for your reply, do you know of any similar tutorial or guide for use in a lightswitch silverlight, desktop application?  I think I can use this in the mobile side of my application but I can't find anything to help with silverlight.  I've tried the BingMapsControl that was part of the old Contoso tutorial but this only displays a map and I can't interact with it other than the basic controls.  The only silverlight documentation I've found uses xml to display the map which I don't think I can do in a lightswitch desktop client app.  Any ideas or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

Monday, June 29, 2015 7:47 AM
  • Thanks for your reply, do you know of any similar tutorial or guide for use in a lightswitch silverlight, desktop application? 

You can install the Bing Maps for Silverlight from Bing Maps Silverlight Control SDK

With regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 9:07 AM