none
Where is list of available evaluation s/w as TechNet Plus subscriber? RRS feed

• Question

• Where is list of available evaluation s/w as TechNet Plus subscriber? I have checked the list here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abouttn/subscriptions/index/default.aspx but I want to know if that is THE list - or if once I pay for the annual TechNet Plus subscription the list somehow shortens. (I'm considering a short term contract to manage a SQL Server 2000 environment on Windows 2003 for a client who wants me to demonstrate proficiency by passing two exams first; so I need the s/w to study & evaluate.)

Thanks for your response. SH

Sunday, January 13, 2008 5:27 PM

Answers

•  

Hi -

We are working on a few site changes to make the list of software available more transparent.  In the mean time, as a TechNet Plus subscriber, you will be able to evaluate SQL 2000 & Windows Server 2003.

Kathy

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:33 AM
  • The items included in the index are all included.

- Kathy

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:32 AM

All replies

•  

Hi -

We are working on a few site changes to make the list of software available more transparent.  In the mean time, as a TechNet Plus subscriber, you will be able to evaluate SQL 2000 & Windows Server 2003.

Kathy

Monday, January 14, 2008 6:33 AM
  • Thanks Kathy, but I was hoping a TechNet Plus subscriber could verify the complete list.  

I'm still unclear as to whether the link above, supplied by the Technet Plus subscriber FAQ, is the list of available s/w. I've had experiences before with MS where their documentation is inconsistent so I wanted to make sure. I appreciate you clearing up the Server 2003 and SS 2000 question but don't want to become a subscriber just for those two examples. There are other things I'm contemplating; for example, I'm also evaluating the MSDN subscription because I do some development testing and evaluating - but it's pricey. Also, I plan to complete my MCSD.NET certification over the next 6-12 months, and the texts frequently require s/w to complete the exercises -- like Visio for example.

Can I can rely on the list at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/abouttn/subscriptions/index/default.aspx as the available for TechNet s/w  or do I have to go through all my study guides and make my own list first, then email you to find out if they're available? ((-: (I will if you don't mind.)

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:13 PM
  • The items included in the index are all included.

- Kathy

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 12:32 AM
  • Thank you Kathy. Take care.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Hi again Kathy, I got busy with my assignment but am now hoping to move forward. At this point, I just want to verify if I need to get some combination of MSDN and Technet subscriptions or if the latter will suffice. I'm finding at work, where I have license to use every Microsoft tool imaginable, that some of the older tools are necessary when an example found in a blog references a SQL Server 2000 database or a .vbs file created with VB 6.0. Also, I'm really hoping to learn the evolution and differences between the products over the next year of study so I'm knowledgeable when I finally get certified and have the need to purchase products to do sub-contract development work - outside of or in place of my current developer day job.

Your last post months ago said everything in the list is included. Thank you. Recently though I searched for products that did show up a couple months ago and now they're gone, or greyed out. I understand the site's changing, as you said. So, at this time, could you please answer the following:

Q. Will I be able to download and evaluate developer tools such as Visual Studio 2005, Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition, SQL Server Enterprise Manager, and Management Studio 2005 with my Technet Plus ($349 per year) subscription? If not what subscription do you recommend where I can evaluate all the tools necessary to move forward with my MCSD.NET, MCSA and MCITP certifications? (I'm not attempting all three but I may go after several electives beyond MCSD that are cores in MCSA and MCITP for increasing my marketability.) 

Q. Is there a list that I can browse that tells me what subscription I must have to be able to download the product? (The greying out is not helpful.)

Thanks again,

Steven

Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Steven:

The TechNet Plus Subscription is targeted to IT Professionals. The MSDN Subscription is targeted to Developers.

There are no developer tools provided through TechNet Plus Subscriptions.

As far as what is available on the various subscriptions, you can reference the following two pages:

Compare TechNet Plus Subscriptions

Compare MSDN TechNet Subscriptions

Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:11 AM