Visual Studio 2012 - Error when checking for updates for Help Viewer 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to open help from the VS2012 it launches Microsoft Helper Viewer 2.0 but generates an error.

Below is the error from the event log.  From IE I can access the same page (http://services.mtps.microsoft.com/ServiceAPI/catalogs/VisualStudio11/en-US) without any errors.

An error occurred while checking for updates: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.CacheLibServiceApiException: The web server has reported an error for http://services.mtps.microsoft.com/ServiceAPI/catalogs/VisualStudio11/en-US: ProtocolError/ProxyAuthenticationRequired

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.Xhtml.ProcessStream(Uri uri, ICacheHost host, Action`2 lambda)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.Xhtml.ProcessDocument(Uri uri, ICacheHost host, Action`2 lambda)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.Xhtml.ProcessDocument(Uri uri, ICacheHost host, Action`1 lambda)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.BookList.Load(Uri source, ICacheHost host, String skuId, String membership, StatusCallback`1 statusCallback)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.DefaultCacheHost.GetBookList(Uri source, String skuId, String membership, StatusCallback`1 statusCallback)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.DocumentationCache.GetUpdatedPackageInfoFromSource(Uri source, Boolean checkForOnlineUpdates, IEnumerable`1 books, PackageInfo currentPackageInfo, CancellationToken ct)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.DocumentationCache.<>c__DisplayClasse.<AvailableUpdates>b__c(KeyValuePair`2 kvpLocale)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.Extensions.Each[T](IEnumerable`1 that, Action`1 lambda)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.DocumentationCache.AvailableUpdates(Uri source)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.CacheManager.<>c__DisplayClass6.<AvailableUpdatesAsync>b__5()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Help.CacheLib.AsyncOperationRunner`1.Run(Object state)

Ross Clemens

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:36 AM

All replies

• Can you open Help via this?...

%ProgramFilesx86%\Microsoft Help Viewer\v2.0\HlpViewer.exe
        /catalogName VisualStudio11 /locale en-US /manage

Hopefully a sever problem that will come good in the 24 hours. :-S
    Although I don't like that bit that says "ProxyAuthenticationRequired"

Rob

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:45 AM
  • I can open using the above - I get the same error. 

I've tried over a number of weeks but always with the same result.

Ross.

Ross Clemens

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:43 PM
  • Roger that. Will ping one of the help team in case they missed your post.

Rob Chandler Help MVP www.helpware.net | mshcmigrate.helpmvp.com | hv2.helpmvp.com

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:02 AM
  • In the mean time a repair on VS 11 would be a good thing to try. Or at least a repair on Help Viewer 2.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:10 AM
  • The help viewer does not negotiate proxy authentication.  There have been a coulpe of different threads on ways to work around this on the forums.

If your proxy server is using NTAuth you can try the aproch mentioned in http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/devdocs/thread/98c655dd-6f03-4556-84bf-332847279fc5  This has had mixed feedback from people.  Some say it works other say no. For VS 11 the exe name has changed so you will need to modify the helpviewer.exe.config.  You probably will also need to create a HlpCtnMgr.exe.config and add the config value there.

Alternitivly some people have reporting using fiddler to negotiate the proxy has been successful for them.  The basic steps for that would be to install fiddler2 launch it, bring up a web browser and go to http://services.mtps.microsoft.com/ServiceAPI/catalogs/VisualStudio11/en-US  Fiddler will capture the proxy authentication and re-play it as appropriate.  After this the help viewer should be able to comunicate through fiddler to the site.

Neither solution is ideal but people have reported success with both.

Hopefully this helps,

Jason

• Edited by Jason A. Campbell-MSFT Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:57 PM Fixing up links, both links included a trailing period.
    • Proposed as answer by Sven De Bont Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:46 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:23 PM
  • I ran the repair option but the result was the same.  Also, the above links are no longer valid (resource not found).

Ross

Ross Clemens

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:02 AM
  • Try now, the period I put at the end of my sentance got included in the link for some reason.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Thanks Jason, the second solution worked for me.

dshakya

Friday, November 23, 2012 4:08 AM