Retrieve "Report To" and sercurity group members. RRS feed

• Question

• User2115364645 posted

Hi

Thanks for looking at this, I have ran into bit of a problem while trying to retrieve some information from the AD,

1. How do you retrieve the list of member names under the AD account "Direct report", where you usually put in the staff names that belongs to a manager. what "distigush name" should I put in, in the search filter? e.g CN? DisplayName?? etc.
    2. How do you get member names that belongs to a security group? e.g security "Group A"?

I am able to authenticate user logins against the AD and direct them base on what member the belong to base on the reference from microsoft site. But unable to retrieve the above information, and not many reference are avaliable from my search. any suggestions? or reference?

Many Thanks.

Jason

Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:11 AM

All replies

• User1354132231 posted
    You are in luck.  I covered this particular issue for #1 in a blog posting awhile back.  It can actually be used for #2 as well if you read part 2 of the post.  Additionally, if you check the links at the top of the forum, you can download the samples to my book and see that in Ch. 11's samples, we have a couple classes (GroupExpander, GroupExpander2) for doing this as well.
    Thursday, September 14, 2006 8:41 AM
  • User2115364645 posted

Thanks Ryan

Sorry for the late reply, I have actually found your post later on in "Google" and was very helpful. However it still didn't resolve my issue because i  dont know the unique distingush name of the field that I was looking for, so i couldn't retrieve the data.

But fortunately I found a useful tool that comes with "Window 2003 CD" called "adsiedit.msc". Using it I found the distingush name and was able to retrieve the data I was looking for.

Once again thank you.

Best Regards

Jason

Monday, October 2, 2006 2:12 AM